Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Binding Method >

Binding Method

Binding Method

Old 12-12-2009, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Linda - K.
I found Sharon's binding with glue method by accident about a year ago. I've tried it on my quilts and love it. The only thing I don't like is the holes on the tips you put on the glue bottle. It's hard for the glue to come out easily and my hand gets very tired squeezing the bottle of glue. I bought the DVD of this method from her web site to make sure I can get answers to my questions if she takes the video off the site. She is one fantastic quilter!
I found too that if I slant the bottle almost perpendicular with the binding instead of a more horizontal position the glue flows easier and steadier.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:13 PM

Lisa Maki of Crooked Nickel Quilts has another method for 'sticking' binding before sewing: 1/4" double sided Steam A Seam. I've tried it, and for wallhangings, you don't even have to sew the 2nd side of the binding! It's faster than glueing. Steam A Seam is water soluble, so if you use it with a quilt that will be washed, you do have to sew the binding.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by JoanneS
Steam A Seam is water soluble, so if you use it with a quilt that will be washed, you do have to sew the binding.
It's not really water soluble as it does not dissolve in water and go away. It just releases in places like any other fusible web does when washed. The web remains (yuck). The edges of any fused fabric should be stitched if the fabric is to be wet at any time after fusing. If you do not stitch the edges, dry clean only (and label the work as such if you are not the final owner).
Old 12-14-2009, 08:19 AM

I like Elmers glue way the best also.
I have used Fons and Porters glue sticks and they work well so anyone that has a hard time with there hands could use that method.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:38 AM
Power Poster

Rose, do you find when using the glue sticks, the fabric wants to stretch when you rub it across? I have only tried the regular glue sticks for kids...
Old 12-14-2009, 02:18 PM
Power Poster

I haven't used glue sticks for binding, but did try several brands for turning under machine applique on freezer paper backings (a la Harriet Hargrave) and didn't like any of them. I switched to old-fashioned paper paste. This is the white stuff that comes in a jar that we used in kindergarten many, many years ago. Smells like peppermint! Couldn't find it locally, but have been able to purchase it via mail order online. I find it a lot easier to apply and faster to use than glue sticks. I just smear it on with a finger. Because it is a paste, it doesn't have the drag on the fabric that a glue stick has. The brand is Elmer's washable school paste.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:28 PM
Power Poster

I've noticed the "drag" with the glue sticks as well..when its important not to stretch, I've applied the glue to the side I am "sticking TO"...not the 1 layer of fabric. That seems to work a little better for me.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:30 PM

No problem with Fons and Porters, I guess it is softer than regular glue sticks.