Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Binding Method

I just finished a table runner using Sharon Schamber's method for binding using Elmer school glue. It takes a little more time but the results are fantastic. I've never had such square milterd corners and a flat binding since doing bindings. I didn't even use my walking foot. I think binding is one of the least favorite things to do, luckily I've never minded doing bindings. The binding on my table runner was different than what I've done in the past. It's a reversible runner so I wanted the binding to be the same as the theme on each side, one side Christmas, the other Fall. I recommend this method to anyone. I learned to new methods with this runner, binding and how to attach a doublesided binding.

Blog Entries
    I love her binding method too!!!:D:D:D I use her glue basting method for many aspects of quilting.
    I am very interested in hearing more about the double sided binding, please.
    Have you posted a picture of your table runner?

The Fall side doesn't seem to photo as well as the Christmas side
    What I did was cut 1 1/2 strips for each side, and make my binding, sew the 2 bindings right sides together. Open and press the seam open really good. Take the raw edge of each binding and bring it to the middle. Attach as normal. The seam will be the fold of the binding. I thought I would have problems joining the ends but I followed Sharon's method to the letter and it worked. The next time I do it however, the binding I sew down I will cut at 1 1/2 but the side I turn down and hand sew I'll cut 1 to 1 1/4. The binding I turned is a little wider than the other side. Hope this makes sense.

Reversible Table Runner
    Name:  Attachment-58174.jpe
Views: 65
Size:  67.9 KB

I recommended her video to someone recently and they said she has taken it off her website. It was such a good one.
    I was just on it last night. It's still there

I love using the elmers glue also

Blog Entries
    Your runner is gorgeous!!! I love both sides :D:D:D

Thank you for explaining how you made the binding, I am going to give this a try :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    Anyone care to share the link for these instructions?? ;)
    Thanks!

That is a beautiful table runner. Your binding looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by Ms Grace
    Thanks!
    http://sharonschambernetwork.com/free_area/free.html
    http://quiltinggallery.com/2008/05/1...s-school-glue/

I don't know how to make these links so you will have to copy them into your url. The second one is easier to access I think because all 3 videos are right there. The first one is the original site.

Quote Originally Posted by okie
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms Grace
    Thanks!
    http://sharonschambernetwork.com/free_area/free.html
    http://quiltinggallery.com/2008/05/1...s-school-glue/

I don't know how to make these links so you will have to copy them into your url. The second one is easier to access I think because all 3 videos are right there. The first one is the original site.
    I said I didn't know how, I don't but thank goodness the board does. I'm amazed.

If I am understanding you correctly, you must use a single, rather than a double fold binding, otherwise I don't get it.

Blog Entries
    It ends up double fold. you start out with two strips and sew them together. Treat that like you would if it had not been sewn, but it is a regular strip that you would fold in half. Sew it on like usual. When you wrap it over, one fabric is on one side, the other is on the opposite side. The fabric that folds over to the opposite side is cut 1/4" wider so that it will show.
    I tried it on scraps and it worked for me :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by roselady
    If I am understanding you correctly, you must use a single, rather than a double fold binding, otherwise I don't get it.
    I don't know if you can see this but here goes. It's on the blurry side. Normally you put raw edges together to sew but with this binding you are putting the raw edge of the runner (quilt) with a fold. After you sew. You have to make sure you have the right binding on the right side. Does this help

Binding example
    Name:  Attachment-58362.jpe
Views: 44
Size:  15.7 KB

Banned
    awesome job, okie.

i'll have to try that 2 sided binding.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    What a great video link! I have to try that and I love the idea of two sided binding.

Here are couple of more pictures that show the 2 sided binding.
    Once you have it sewn down you will know exactly how to turn it. Again the seam becomes the fold of the attached binding.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    okie...thats a great tablerunner! I love both sides and I'd have never thought of a double sided binding! I think I have figured out how you did it...I know I could if I were fiddling with it. thanks for sharing!

Blog Entries
    These videos were so helpful. I can't wait to try this method. Thank you for sharing.

Washington State summer, Sun City AZ winter
    I found Sharon's binding with glue method by accident about a year ago. I've tried it on my quilts and love it. The only thing I don't like is the holes on the tips you put on the glue bottle. It's hard for the glue to come out easily and my hand gets very tired squeezing the bottle of glue. I bought the DVD of this method from her web site to make sure I can get answers to my questions if she takes the video off the site. She is one fantastic quilter!

Blog Entries
    I find that keeping the bottle full of glue makes it easier to squeeze it out :D:D:D

Quote Originally Posted by Linda - K.
    I found Sharon's binding with glue method by accident about a year ago. I've tried it on my quilts and love it. The only thing I don't like is the holes on the tips you put on the glue bottle. It's hard for the glue to come out easily and my hand gets very tired squeezing the bottle of glue. I bought the DVD of this method from her web site to make sure I can get answers to my questions if she takes the video off the site. She is one fantastic quilter!
    I found too that if I slant the bottle almost perpendicular with the binding instead of a more horizontal position the glue flows easier and steadier.

Blog Entries
    Lisa Maki of Crooked Nickel Quilts has another method for 'sticking' binding before sewing: 1/4" double sided Steam A Seam. I've tried it, and for wallhangings, you don't even have to sew the 2nd side of the binding! It's faster than glueing. Steam A Seam is water soluble, so if you use it with a quilt that will be washed, you do have to sew the binding.

Quote Originally Posted by JoanneS
    Steam A Seam is water soluble, so if you use it with a quilt that will be washed, you do have to sew the binding.
    It's not really water soluble as it does not dissolve in water and go away. It just releases in places like any other fusible web does when washed. The web remains (yuck). The edges of any fused fabric should be stitched if the fabric is to be wet at any time after fusing. If you do not stitch the edges, dry clean only (and label the work as such if you are not the final owner).

I like Elmers glue way the best also.
    I have used Fons and Porters glue sticks and they work well so anyone that has a hard time with there hands could use that method.

Blog Entries
    Rose, do you find when using the glue sticks, the fabric wants to stretch when you rub it across? I have only tried the regular glue sticks for kids...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast