Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
binding quilts - uuggghhh! >

binding quilts - uuggghhh!

binding quilts - uuggghhh!

Old 06-14-2014, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by michelleoc View Post
dunster - I was hoping that you wouldn't say that!!!
nammie - I do it all by machine - hand sewing and I don't get along.
carolaug - do you mean go all the way to the corner and DON'T stop 1/4 inch from the end?

I'm not sure if this is what carolaug meant, but this is what I do -- a trick I learned from Libby Lehman during a class she taught: When you're sewing the binding to the quilt, pause when you reach 1/4" from the end of the side. Pivot, and stitch at 45 degrees out to the exact corner. Then cut your threads, and make your miter. That extra stitching seems to make it much easier to get nice corners when you turn the binding to the other side.

I've just recently been successful at sewing bindings on all by machine -- I usually make my strips 2.5 inches instead of my usual 2.25. Then I sew to the right side, flip the binding to the back and pin it. (I've not tried glue, but I guess that would be safer). THen I machine stitch in the ditch on the front. Sometimes I use one of the decorative stitches on my machine, so it shows, and sometimes I Just SITD with invisible thread. Sometimes I even add a decorative piece of trim right in the ditch, and zig zag over it with invisible thread (ie, couching)
Old 06-14-2014, 02:45 PM

I agree with Prism - it took me along time to realize that the seam allowance is the key to getting the miters correct - it really depends on what your seam allowance is and that is the key to stopping and flipping the corner away then lay the binding down and start sewing again. I know that makes no sense - but keep practicing and watch videos - one of the best I watched and helped me the most was by Holice Turnbow - try googling it on youtube - he is a pro at binding.
Old 06-14-2014, 05:04 PM

Ditto to Gale. I always make bias binding for my quilts - using the continuous bias binding method. You can get HUGE amounts of bias binding out of a semi-large piece of fabric.
Old 06-14-2014, 06:01 PM

I used to dread doing my bindings but since watching Sharon Schamber's video "Binding the Angel" on YouTube I've actually started looking forward to that part!
Old 06-15-2014, 05:16 AM

Elmer's glue changed my life
Old 06-15-2014, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by DebD800 View Post
I used to dread doing my bindings but since watching Sharon Schamber's video "Binding the Angel" on YouTube I've actually started looking forward to that part!
I agree! This is a super video and you will get excellent results the first time by using her technique.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:27 AM

Cat- on- amac gives a good hint....sew 45 degree line at corner...and I use 2 1/2" binding..maybe that extra makes a better miter? I still go the old fashioned way of machine sew on front....but I do snip off the corner stuff to eliminate some bulk..enough is created by the miter..then hand sew to back..use straight strips, not bias. On some tv show ..maybe F&P I did see someone ( male, I think) cut the inside fold (?) off that miter corner too...have to go and check my "saved" programs...he claimed that gave a smoother miter corner.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by cat-on-a-mac View Post
I'm not sure if this is what carolaug meant, but this is what I do -- a trick I learned from Libby Lehman during a class she taught: When you're sewing the binding to the quilt, pause when you reach 1/4" from the end of the side. Pivot, and stitch at 45 degrees out to the exact corner. Then cut your threads, and make your miter. That extra stitching seems to make it much easier to get nice corners when you turn the binding to the other side.

I've just recently been successful at sewing bindings on all by machine -- I usually make my strips 2.5 inches instead of my usual 2.25. Then I sew to the right side, flip the binding to the back and pin it. (I've not tried glue, but I guess that would be safer). THen I machine stitch in the ditch on the front. Sometimes I use one of the decorative stitches on my machine, so it shows, and sometimes I Just SITD with invisible thread. Sometimes I even add a decorative piece of trim right in the ditch, and zig zag over it with invisible thread (ie, couching)
I do my bindings just like this, EXCEPT, I don't cut the threads when I have stitched into the corner on the diagonal. Leaving some batt and back will help with this. Leave the needle in the fabric when the needle just leaves the quilt top and is in the batt and back fabric, just off the edge of the binding fabric. DO NOT TAKE QUILT OUT OF MACHINE. Turn quilt to sew down the other side. Slide your thumb or a finger under the binding and lift to make a "tuck" and bring the binding toward you down the next side you will be sewing. Line up the raw edges of the binding with the raw edges of the quilt. Pinch the tuck so that the folded edges are exactly even. Lay it down away from you so the fold in the binding is exactly at the top raw edge that has been sewn. NOW, lift your needle and move over the width of the seam (1/4 or 3/8 inch?) No need to cut the thread. Put needle down at sewing line and continue sewing next side. No need to backstitch.

I watched someone do this and I was amazed at how fast she was making corners, but she never told us what she was doing. It took me six years to figure it out. Hope you can do it too.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:19 AM

I love the finishing part. I was fortunate to have a really good teacher on how to do the corners.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:27 AM

I had the Martelli binding system for several years before I forced myself to learn the process. There is a learning curve, but it's wonderful - perfect binding and corners every time. There is a video on their site.