Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Binding >

Binding

Binding

Old 10-12-2017, 02:02 PM

I have and I do. Most of the quilts I've made are for gifts and my hand sewing is not very good.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by Doggramma View Post
Probably not since I do pretty much all my bindings by machine. They've improved with practice. I, however, would pay to have someone sandwich my quilts.
I'm with you. I bind by machine but getting the back ready and sandwiching are my kryptonite. I have decided that is why I have so many UFOs. I hate getting the backs ready. If I knew someone who I could trade skills with, I would.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:31 AM

I don't hire anyone to bind my quilts - love to sit in the evening and do that. However, in my quilting business I do offer machine binding to the front done while the quilt is still on the frame and hand binding on the back. I have several customers who have me machine stitch the binding to the front and they finish it up by stitching the binding to the back.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:10 AM

Yes I would, but I won't because I like hand sewing. I can't afford to have my quilts quilted by someone else. So I also do my own quilting which I really don't like doing. Most of my peeps quilt by checkbook. Meaning they send their quilts out to get quilted. My quilting isn't as pretty as theirs but it gets better with each quilt I do.
Old 11-04-2017, 08:13 AM

If I was no longer able, sure I would pay someone to do them...a hand quilter I know charges an extra $15.00 to bind after she quilts a quilt. A bargain, I’d say
Old 06-29-2018, 04:30 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I have paid someone to bind my quilts. I machine bind my quilts now and can hand bind them but prefer to pay someone to hand bind them. But now mostly I machine bind my quilts. I seem to save up about seven quilts and send them to the LAer and then I get them all back and don’t look forward to binding them all. I’m usually already piecing a new quilt by then and don’t want to stop to bind so that’s when I send them out. But not so much anymore. I do it myself now more and more.
Old 06-29-2018, 05:10 AM
Power Poster

Right now I have no disabilities and enjoy the entire process although I am better at some parts than others. I am never in a hurry - my mojo comes and goes - and I like to know I did all of the quilt. That is not to say if things change for me in the future any and all other solutions are possible. What is good is that there are so many options for all of us.
Old 06-29-2018, 07:21 AM

I still enjoy binding myself. Plus now that my sister lives closer she pitches in to help when I have more than one to bind at a time. Right now she's got one and I have the other that are alike. Plus when her quilts come up to be bound, she'll get to do them too. Lucky me!!!!!
Old 06-29-2018, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Doggramma View Post
... I, however, would pay to have someone sandwich my quilts.
ditto this! I hate sandwiching.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:59 AM

I make my binding a little wider put it on the back first with a straight stitch then fold it to the front and use a fancy stitch from my machine. By being wider the stitching does not show on the back because I use the same color thread as the fabric on the back . On the front I use sulky emb thread to make it decorative