Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Binding >

Binding

Binding

Old 02-22-2010, 09:22 PM

I like to do the binding. I make my own binding to match the back and sew it on by hand. I do not like binding that is sewn on by machine.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:13 AM

I also don't mind binding. It's the cherry on with whipped cream. For me its very exciting, the end is near and and almost done, starting to think of the next thing!!
Old 02-23-2010, 03:32 AM

Sorry you don't like to bind. I love to bind a quuilt and the hand sewing it to the back looks so nice. I enjoy it so much I make a few bucks at it for ladies at the group I sew at everyother Friday night hates it or has to many to do so it gives me a few bucks. But even not getting paid I love it and I make my own binding too. I bought the bias press and it is so wonderfullllllll.
What is it that you have trouble with?
Old 02-23-2010, 03:33 AM

I just bound a wall hanging the other day, sewn on the front, hand blind stitched the back. First one out of I cant say how many quilts. I can say this.. it was the first and only time I was VERY happy with the end results of binding. My shoulder hurt when I was done (must be doing something funky?) my fingers were sore (poor eyesite oh heck! ouch that is my finger not the fabric!).. but the result was? stitches where I wanted them no flopping out of the seam, ripping a seam redoing the stitch here redoing it there.. it laid wonderfully on BOTH SIDES... worth the time completely. Wish I had tried it sooner. AND its easier than machine quilting so it got my vote as a not unfun part of quilting any longer.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by adriansmom
I like sewing the binding to the back also!! I even like making my own binding!! I guess it's because I know it's almost finished and doesn't take a lot of thought to do it.
Ditto :thumbup:

I attached by machine using my walking foot. Really helps and makes a big difference.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:39 AM

I seem to have trouble with the whole thing. It is only my second attempt and the first was . .ok.

First of all, I felt rushed and did the mitered corners completly wrong. Then for some reason no matter how many times I watch youtube videos I just can not get the connecting ends part down. My husband walked in when I was close to tears and throwing my seam ripper around and helped me.

It still had to get pulled apart. Thats what I get for rushing. The hardest part is connecting the ends correctly.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:33 AM

Im at the point I have to start the binding. I never down this any suggestions? Im a picture person as long as I cansee this done I can do it.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:26 PM

I don't know which you-tube videos you have seen. This is my favorite way to end binding. Maybe it will help.

http://my.allpeoplequilt.com/bettert...ctid=716057370
Old 02-23-2010, 12:38 PM

Thank you that was very helpful. But Im still scared to do it....Ill get over it.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:43 PM

try this site www.animas.com i have this tool and it really works great and it,s easy she has a video so you can frist before buying one