Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Binding

I need to know the correct way to add binding
    to a quilt and the width of it also
    Thanks

I do a French binding (double fold) and cut it 2 1/4" wide. I press it in half and sew the raw edge to the raw edge of the quilt after I have squared the quilt up. You can sew it from the front or back, then I hand stitch it down on the opposite side.

Quote Originally Posted by spinnergs
    I do a French binding (double fold) and cut it 2 1/4" wide. I press it in half and sew the raw edge to the raw edge of the quilt after I have squared the quilt up. You can sew it from the front or back, then I hand stitch it down on the opposite side.
    DITTO

Banned
    i cant visualize this.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sewcrazygirl
    i cant visualize this.
    You cut the binding 2 1/4" wide in width. Fold it in half, sew one side to the front or back of the quilt sandwich. Then turn the to the front or back, whichever side you did'nt machine sew it and then hand sew the binding to that side.

Ditto for me also!!!

ME TOOOO!!!

Blog Entries
    Bingo...That's how I do binding also.

Quote Originally Posted by roseOfsharon
    Quote Originally Posted by sewcrazygirl
    i cant visualize this.
    You cut the binding 2 1/4" wide in width. Fold it in half, sew one side to the front or back of the quilt sandwich. Then turn the to the front or back, whichever side you did'nt machine sew it and then hand sew the binding to that side.
    It's just the way I do it too. Works great. Sometimes I use a decorative stitch on my machine to finish it instead of hand sewing

Blog Entries
    Here's a Youtube video that demonstrates how to attach a binding:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buCKs-Fgvb4

I do think cutting the strips 2" wide is a little on the narrow side. I prefer 2-1/4".

Blog Entries
    I do the same, except I cut my strips 2 1/2" wide (my preference).

Blog Entries
    Same here.

Same here!

Pam
    I do a double fold on regular quilts. I do cut on the straight of grain, I try not to mess with bias unless I have to for binding.

Banned
    go to www.quilterstv.com and under Quilter's Cafe scroll down to Holice and Binding

Me too, except I usually cut my 2 1/2" wide.

Power Poster
    I like to cut my binding on the bias because I think it wears better.

See? Can't get us to agree on anything.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prism99
    Here's a Youtube video that demonstrates how to attach a binding:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buCKs-Fgvb4

I do think cutting the strips 2" wide is a little on the narrow side. I prefer 2-1/4".
    I have been doing my binding different, now I see why it did not look as neat as some of the others I have seen. Thank you for showing the link to the tutorial. I have learned something new. :-D

There is a video tutorial that should help you a great deal. Type in "free instructions, quilt binding" and click on the 5th website "Sewing Quilt Bindings: How to Quilt/eHow.com."

Very clear instructions. You can replay it until it "clicks."

I always cut my fabric 2 1/2" as I prefer using a 3/8" seam to sew on my binding. Just feel that it is more secure and allows for an occasional wobble.

[quote=I always cut my fabric 2 1/2" as I prefer using a 3/8" seam to sew on my binding. Just feel that it is more secure and allows for an occasional wobble.[/quote]

Thank you to Peggy for noting that she sews her cut 2-1/2" binding with a 3/8" seam allowance - not 1/4". I've been trying to teach my guild members that 2-1/2" is way too wide if you are sewing 1/4" seams - leaves too much on the backside and can be difficult to miter.

The "magic" number is to multiply your seam allowance times 6 and add a bit depending on the batting. With this math and 1/4" seams I cut my binding 1-3/4" (that's 1/4" x 6 = 1-1/2" plus 1/4" for batt) and it comes out just fine. Sounds scarey I know, but with a flat batt (like Warm & Natural or Quilter's Dream Request) it works just fine. Gives a nice tight binding when hand sewn. OK, 2" will work, too. And there is no problem with sewing a larger than 1/4" seam for binding.

My suggestion is to try making a few samples with differing cut bindings and seam allowances. Did you now that there are antique quilts with 1/8" binding? It's amazing to me how they did that 150 years ago without all our "toys" - not even electricity!

OK, time to stop rambling - hope y'all find this helpful.

Sandy in Mooresville, NC

I also cut 2 1/2" & use 3/8" s.a. BUT I DO NOT PRESS my binding in 1/2! I encourage everyone to at least TRY this method once. The binding "rolls" over the quilt and lays so nice and flat and in perfect position to be sewn down-IMHO

Power Poster
    I've always resisted pressing my bindings in half - I do baste the raw edges together -

The reason is that when the fabric has to make all those turns, the "half" mark is no longer at the final fold line. It may be only a couple of threads off, but - - - at any rate, doing it this way seems to work for me.

Holice, I used your way of binding on my last quilt and my corners never looked so nice. Loved the video and watched it several times. You are a treasure.

Same for me and it works just great.

I cut mine 2 1/2 inches; however, I'm binding a flannel quilt now, and I cut that one a little wider. There are some really good tutorials out there. Check out YouTube and do a search.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast