Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Binding tip

Power Poster

Binding tip

I am working on hand sewing a binding today and pulling the needle through the double fold binding edge was making my index finger sore. I had to grip hard because my finger kept slipping. I could use an elastic band from the broccoli for traction but it suddenly occured to me that my Teflon finger tip protector might work. It does! My binding is going much faster now.Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 1436
Size:  243.9 KB

Interesting idea. I do not like using a hard thimble.

Blog Entries
    thanks for sharing your 'tip' [pun intended]
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Blog Entries
    How funny, I was just watching a video yesterday about a hand quilter who uses rubber fingers. Made me smack myself in the forehead and say why didn't I think of that. Lol.

I use a rubber fingertip all the time. Be it hand quilting or just sewing down the binding. I bought a box of them at the office supply store for cheap. Work like a charm all the time.

When sewing my binding I find the ladder stitch very easy and I always use embroidery needles. Most of the time I use those leather thimble pads instead of a hard thimble.

Our LQS sells "gummy" thimbles which fit snugly and work well. I always use a thimble for hand sewing. Feel naked without one!

I am going to go buy one or some. Good idea. I will look for them in a store but what store I wonder?

Power Poster
    I was gifted a set of 3 Teflon finger protectors for ironing from a LQS. I haven't used them for that yet but they have a nice grip. I would think the little rubber ones that bank tellers use for counting money would work also or maybe the finger tip rubber stockings that you can buy when you need to protect a cut. You could also just cut a finger tip off a pair of rubber gloves and have 9 extra.

I have little pink silicone thimble-like things I can wear for hand-sewing, they're great. Protects my finger from the bruising grip, AND makes it easier to get a grip in the first place. I like them better than the blue finger caps because they're open on the back and ventilated on the finger pad - I get really sweaty fingers and they start slipping around if I try to use something that completely covers my finger. I have some finger sheathes meant for FMQ that I can't use either, for the same reason. I guess I have naturally sweaty hands! (eww)

This is the main thing I use these for is hand sewing.
    Jeanie

You can always purchase "Finger cots" at the drug store, they fit over your whole finger, and come in a variety of sizes, I think there were 12 in the box. I think they are to cover your finger if you had a medical issue or hurt your finger to keep it sterilized.
    Quilting People are the Best, Have a great sewing day!
    DonnaJ

Blog Entries
    glad you were able to use a thimble. i can't, wish i could, but it slows me down.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Glad it worked for you. I would have a hard time with that on my finger, kinda clumsy for me.

I must be doing something all different. I wear the thimble on my middle finger and it never interferes with pulling the needle, only pushing the needle. I don't pull the needle through the fabric at all really. I push the needle with the thimble until it disappears in the fabric and then it's simple and no effort at all to move the needle and start a new stitch. I can't hand sew without a thimble. It hurts if I don't.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries