Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I'm doing it backwards

I'm doing it backwards

I was using a restaurant restroom and noticed some tile trim that would make a great quilt border. So now I have an idea for a border, but am stumped on what to do in the field. Here is the border. Any ideas on a block type that would look good. All I could come up with was to use it on a quilt with a lot of the beige background. Maybe something on point? Help, and thank you.

Name:  Tile Borders.jpg
Views: 2356
Size:  145.1 KB

The colors remind me of sunflowers. Maybe you could applique sunflowers in each block. Nice looking border!

Blog Entries
    i'd be tempted to put a curved piece middle so the nice border stands out
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Power Poster
    That would make a great border.

It seems perfectly reasonable to me to start with a frame and then look for something to put it around.

If you do decide to go with blocks - you could just make them - and then use sashings and/or additional borders to "make them fit" inside your "frame."

Love the border!!! I don't have a suggestion but have also been inspired in bathrooms by their pattern on the floor.

Hold onto that pattern. One day the perfect block will come along and you will fit the two together. I see quilt patterns everywhere also. Tiles, architecture, old movies, it always reminds me that nothing is truly new. We just think it is. That's a great border pattern.

Alternate appliqued sunflowers with barn blocks. It also remind me a little of Indian corn. Appliqued scarecrows, corn, and squash.
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

My first thought was a medallion applique with a few different borders with this being the final one.....

LOL, I'm glad I'm not the only person who's taken a photo of restaurant bathroom tile! Fabulous find!
    I'm seeing harvest time wheat fields, barns.

I think I'd put a fabric that I love so much I don't want to cut it in the frame. The border design is very pretty. Maybe you could put large squares sashed the same as the border. Have fun!
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

I've started with the "frame" before too. I found an amazing children's animal print border fabric by J Wecker Frishe. It reminded me of the "Wind in the Willows" animals. I knew I wanted that to be a mitered frame around something. What I finally came up with was selecting several small prints with some of the colors from the Frishe border, and made a center of disappearing 4 patches. Turned out great and the center did not overwhelm the cool animal border.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries
    What about finding some sort of a panel for the center. If I change the colors, it would work for my peacock panel.

Marcia

Nice border, sorry can't help on the centre.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Ohhhhhh, nice border!! I'm sure you will find the right block.

Quote Originally Posted by toverly View Post
    Hold onto that pattern. One day the perfect block will come along and you will fit the two together. I see quilt patterns everywhere also. Tiles, architecture, old movies, it always reminds me that nothing is truly new. We just think it is. That's a great border pattern.
    I agree..........

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    I think some are basing their comments on the color of the border. To look at more possibilities look at the picture in black and white and focus on the shapes. What shapes and patterns would enhance or detract from the "squareness" and structure of the border.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It looks to me that the way you have it laid out, with a 1" sized square that a 10" block would work best. Of course you can adjust the inner border to fit, but I might go to quilterscache.com and look at all the 10" blocks for inspiration.

The border is nice reminds me of a simplified Greek key pattern. If I were wanting the border to stand out as a big part of the quilt I think I would do some kind of medallion center w/ free space between the edge of the medallion and the beginning of the border.

I have to ask though is it not bothering the beejeesus out of you that on such a structured border all 4 corners aren't the same?????
    "Never cruel, nor cowardly, never give up, never give in."

Let's take care of the Earth, it is the only planet that for sure has Chocolate.

Sonic screwdrivers, fez, bow ties, and Stetsons are cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
    The border is nice reminds me of a simplified Greek key pattern. If I were wanting the border to stand out as a big part of the quilt I think I would do some kind of medallion center w/ free space between the edge of the medallion and the beginning of the border.

I have to ask though is it not bothering the beejeesus out of you that on such a structured border all 4 corners aren't the same?????
    Yes, it does bother me, but I hoped I'd be able to determine a way as part of the final design to get around it. Maybe solid corner blocks or something. I can also rotate two of the blocks and the difference is not as obvious, as shown.Name:  Tile Borders.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  137.8 KB

I don't think it will matter what you have in the middle. Anything will look great with that border.
    Personally I would just make sure there was a decent plain border between the blocks and the awesome border so they don't crowd each other, and would obviously use the same, or similar fabrics.

Hope you'll show what you decide to do

And I thought I was the only one who did this in public restrooms!!haha
    Let peace begin with me and you.

I saw a Dresden plate pattern with points instead of round edges made in 3 yellows with a brown center. I would post a link, but I saw this in person. It would really look good in that frame.
    "The great doing of little things makes the great life." Eugena Price

Oh good???? I was worried it was just me. lol This snail trail looks good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilting Chris View Post
    Yes, it does bother me, but I hoped I'd be able to determine a way as part of the final design to get around it. Maybe solid corner blocks or something. I can also rotate two of the blocks and the difference is not as obvious, as shown.Name:  Tile Borders.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  137.8 KB
    "Never cruel, nor cowardly, never give up, never give in."

Let's take care of the Earth, it is the only planet that for sure has Chocolate.

Sonic screwdrivers, fez, bow ties, and Stetsons are cool.

If you want the corners to match, then making the inner border wider or adjusting the block size/number should allow you to make it match.

I see just a basic Drunkard's Path.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast