Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: broken machine running backwards questions!

Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!
    My daughter is 12, and while I let her brother sew with my Husq's (I have a Designer I & Sapphire 850), my daughter isn't so careful... well, two summers ago, we found a curbside special at the end of a garage sale-ing day where they were tossing an old machine. It is in phenomenally clean & good condition! Has its own built-in table, etc.

It is an Elgin Model #2468 secured into its own table (flips down to hide the machine if you want just the table displayed).

We played with it for about an hour after cleaning up the dust bunnies, and it worked great. But when she went to sew her first official project (a pillow made with fleece), the feeddogs started running backwards. Yup, backwards, in tiny little increments. (I gave her good poly fleece, and we had Gutermann thread on it, so it wasn't junk supplies).

Hubby & I took off outer casings and troubleshot as best we could, but it looks like all the worm gears and connections are all fine, and running proper. Not sure what the problem is.

Needless to say, it was a curbside special (free) and with today's economy, I really cannot swing $90 for our local shop to look at it and see if it can be fixed. (their cost is $89.99 regardless of what machine it is, serger, embroidery, coverstitch, whatever).

This is a great machine, and I'd love to get it working again, as she is interested in using it. Any ideas of what could be making it stitch backward? Have already troubleshot the reverse mechanism, that's not it.

not sure what could cause that good luck

Blog Entries
    Did a goggle and found these answers:

Stuck in Reverse
    I recently acquired a Brother VX-1120 sewing machine. The problem is it's sewing in reverse. Can you help me?

Thanks.
    Verna
    7/25/2006
    Dear Verna,

Make sure that the machine is in straight stitch forward and the stitch length is the highest level that it can go. If that doesn't make it go forward, you will have to use the old hair dryer trick. Take the top lid of the machine off and heat the inside with a heated hairdryer. Work the stitch length and the reverse until it frees up.

Thank you,
    SewVac Doctor

Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!
    we thought of it being stuck in reverse - but when you hit the reverse mode, it does full-length stitches reversed... release the reverse, and it still runs backwards, but with itty-bitty stitch lengths. We did this with the top casing off, and the bottom exposed - we don't see any swing arms or gears stuck?

Blog Entries
    sew from behind? sorry, can't think of an anwser for you.

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan
    sew from behind? sorry, can't think of an anwser for you.
    bwahaa haa! my daughter is sitting here reading over my shoulder, that may work! :) She just said we're all crazy.

Blog Entries
    This machine has a lot of settings. I would think one of the settings is not set right?

Blog Entries
    Does it have cams and if so are they seated in correctly ?

here are pics of the machine: No cams in the unit binding it up or anything. We did play with all the other settings -- width of zigzag, length of straight stitch -- switching to bh & back, everything we could think of. We had 3 sets of eyes on it while cranking the handwheel, and none of could see anything out of line or not working as it should be... its got us stumped!

My daughter looked at me longingly when she saw this post and said, "mom, if it can be fixed, I could make my own quilt" -- I'm scared to let her alone with my husq's or my serger. She has always been into garment design... she's always been tall & skinny and we've had to make a lot of her own clothes (bottoms especially) because its impossible to buy a Sz. 6 waist / sz. 12 length combo off-the-rack. Sewing has been a part of our lives, she doesn't know any different. Now that she's getting ready to turn 13, she wants to do her own stuff.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Download a copy of the manual from the Elgin Website. It may have a troubleshooting section that could help. I put Elgin Sewing Machine Manual in & it was a free download.

Talk with Billy...lostn51

Quote Originally Posted by Becky Crafts
    Download a copy of the manual from the Elgin Website. It may have a troubleshooting section that could help. I put Elgin Sewing Machine Manual in & it was a free download.
    I did numerous searches, could not find the download? Did find one for $17. I think the UM was in the cabinet when we rescued it, I will search my sewing room :)

Tink's Mom: I already have him looking into it, showed him pics and get the JC JA numbers for him to research

Is it possible the machine has a locking stitch? That is almost what it sounds like it is doing.

Since it sounds like it worked initially, it must be something that was pressed or done to it since.

Keep at it. I am sure you will figure it out.

Blog Entries
    Are you using 100% cotton instead of fleece or flannel to work on until you get everything up and running?

A couple of searches turned up

Heating up the inside (how about that dryer or over a heating vent.

Check to see if a belt is twisted.

Motor polarity reversed (don't know anything about this!)

ETA: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-35070-1.htm
    She has the same machine - maybe she's had similar problems.

ETA: don't know about this downloadable site but may be worth a try.
    http://free-tutorial-for.me/search/t...hine-mod-2468/

ETA: found this info:
    Feed Dogs The feed dogs are located beneath the needle and presser foot and move forward or backward to feed your fabric through the machine smoothly and evenly. Occasionally the feed dogs can get stuck in a reverse-feed direction and, no matter what setting you have your machine on, will only run backwards.
    Reverse Lever The reverse lever on a sewing machine is most often a push-button or mechanical lever that you push when you want your fabric to feed in reverse. This button occasionally gets stuck or broken internally in the reverse position, causing the machine to only run in reverse.

ETA: Another site:
    To all the people with this problem. What has happened is the reverse mechanism has stuck, this is often due to not being used for a while or the machine has not been oiled properly, which is hard to do for a user as you virtually have to remove all the covers.
    If this particular machine has a screw on cover at the end where the handwheel is, remove it and look inside, you will see the mechanism, what you need to do is push it back out, then oil it but make sure you work the reverse button in and out while you oil it and check it works freely, then just refit the end cover.

Ok I'm done - but can't wait to hear you've figured it out!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oatw13
    Is it possible the machine has a locking stitch? That is almost what it sounds like it is doing.
    Since it sounds like it worked initially, it must be something that was pressed or done to it since.
    That does sound like a beginning or ending locking stitch - but I think she says it continually sews tiny stitches backwards even if it set on sewing forward.

How about the stitch dials? Are they LINED UP properly? Have they fallen out of groove? Could they have been turned too quickly and stripped?...like an old fashioned t.v.?

I wish I were closer to help you figure this out! I love mysteries! We learn so much from them.

Blog Entries
    Of your DD Jean size, my DGD is 13, tall and skinny, wears size 1 jeans with very long length. She is all legs. She finds them at Rue 21, Wet Seal, Holister, any store that caters to only teen clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    Of your DD Jean size, my DGD is 13, tall and skinny, wears size 1 jeans with very long length. She is all legs. She finds them at Rue 21, Wet Seal, Holister, any store that caters to only teen clothes.
    Yeah, we tried those plus some local consignment shoppes ~ she's basically fitting well into a size 1/2 now, we're making it work. Sometimes she'll find a pair of 3/4 or 5/6 that she loves at a thrift store she loves, and I'll disassemble them and retailor them to fit her bod. Her school mandates uniforms, and school uniforms aren't made for tall skinny kids! So I have to make all her skirts (luckily she's a tomboy, so I only have to make a few 2x/year now)... otherwise, off-the-rack skirts are mini's on her, as she's all legs :) She does still love when mom makes her clothes... that makes me feel good! Many of her friends have asked her "where'd you get that!" and she just smiles and says "my mom designed it"

it has been a great journey with fashion design with her. I have a very mathematical mind, and being an artist, have become quite adept at taking any garment pattern out there and altering it to my liking / needs. Have even designed a few of my own garments, but have no idea how to publish (due to size of pieces).

I have also invented a couple really neat quilting/embellishment tools, would love to patent them and sell them, but have no idea how. One makes couching with multiple threads a breeze, and the other is a tool that helps decide if a fabric is fussy-cut worthy while you're at the store (for when we all see a fabric that speaks to us) So far I've been lucky and F&P and Dritz haven't invented the same items :) :mrgreen:

the hairdryer trick sounds good, if I get some time this weekend (IOW, if you can get me away from a new quilt I am designing!) I may try to heat it up and see if it works. If not, me & DH may disassemble and see if something just needs de-gunked. We did not totally disassemble it before, we were afraid of sproinging something we could not later fix (for lack of a better term)... but I am game, when I saw her face light up that I was paying attention to her machine, that makes it worth it :mrgreen:

Blog Entries
    From the searches I've seen on line some of those machines sold recently for $100-$200

Quote Originally Posted by quiltinghere
    From the searches I've seen on line some of those machines sold recently for $100-$200
    We got it as a curb-side special :) the people were selling gramma's stuff (including the house), and it was at the end of the day/weekend for all the garagesales - so they were putting it on the curb... the only reason we stopped at this one was my son saw a drumset in the driveway earlier that day, and wanted to see if it was still there for a better deal... (BTW he got the drumset for $5 - it was junior-size set, but he's my little guy anyway)

Hello,
    Just found your post and I bought a Elgin S - 1145 @ yard sale several years ago and have played with it and maybe this is your problem...Does it have a slide lever in center @ top of machine?? I was just playing with mine to see if I could discover problem and if lever is slide on the SS side you get VERY small stitches? Have you found a manual yet as I have done many web searches with no luck.If anyone out there has one PLEASE share as this is a real work horse machine but do not know how to use cams,streach stitch or button hole feature on it.
    Retta97

Blog Entries
    how do you make the machine go backwards normally maybe whatever if it's a lever or button is probably stuck in that position.

Does it have a button-hole setting? Could it be stuck there? I have an old Elgin and it has a knob that you turn for the top edge, down the right side, bottom edge, and "up the left side" (sewing backwards) setting. Just a thought.

Suzy

Hello,
    I have same machine and my son found website that has a manual for download for 5 dollars and I figured that I would take the chance and order it and the only difference in the machines are the button hole knobs and the slider for ss and m which I found that adjusts your zig zag tension.Maybe your problem is silver thingy on top of machine is disingauged.
    I bought manual from www.manualsoncd.com just got it tonight and I really belive it will help alot!If I can help pm me and we could talk either email or telephone if your intrested.I know what you mean about letting someone how is just learning use good machine,I have used my Elgin for just plain piecing and I LOVE IT!!! Hope this helps Retta97
    Retta97

Blog Entries
    Could the motor be pulling the belt backwards?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast