Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
broken machine running backwards questions! >

broken machine running backwards questions!

broken machine running backwards questions!

Old 01-16-2012, 09:40 PM

Hello,
Just found your post and I bought a Elgin S - 1145 @ yard sale several years ago and have played with it and maybe this is your problem...Does it have a slide lever in center @ top of machine?? I was just playing with mine to see if I could discover problem and if lever is slide on the SS side you get VERY small stitches? Have you found a manual yet as I have done many web searches with no luck.If anyone out there has one PLEASE share as this is a real work horse machine but do not know how to use cams,streach stitch or button hole feature on it.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:17 PM

how do you make the machine go backwards normally maybe whatever if it's a lever or button is probably stuck in that position.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:31 PM

Does it have a button-hole setting? Could it be stuck there? I have an old Elgin and it has a knob that you turn for the top edge, down the right side, bottom edge, and "up the left side" (sewing backwards) setting. Just a thought.

Suzy
Old 01-17-2012, 05:35 PM

Hello,
I have same machine and my son found website that has a manual for download for 5 dollars and I figured that I would take the chance and order it and the only difference in the machines are the button hole knobs and the slider for ss and m which I found that adjusts your zig zag tension.Maybe your problem is silver thingy on top of machine is disingauged.
I bought manual from www.manualsoncd.com just got it tonight and I really belive it will help alot!If I can help pm me and we could talk either email or telephone if your intrested.I know what you mean about letting someone how is just learning use good machine,I have used my Elgin for just plain piecing and I LOVE IT!!! Hope this helps Retta97
Old 01-17-2012, 05:43 PM

Could the motor be pulling the belt backwards?
Old 01-17-2012, 07:36 PM

I had a machine I hadn't used in a long time and it needed to be serviced - badly. when I got it back, it sewed backwards!
Took it in, the tech got it to sew correctly. Went home - it sewed backwards. I went out and bought a new machine,
After I followed the instructions on the new model, I discovered I had put the bobbin in backwards on my original machine. I tested it, and yep! It sewed straight as can be.
Try the bobbin and see if that helps.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:31 AM

I had that happen once with an old Singer. My husband replaced a little plastic gear for me, and afterwards it only sewed backwards. I took it to an old man who liked to fiddle with machines in his spare time. After a few months and lots of his time, he discovered the gear was in backwards. He changed it and it worked perfectly. Try to make a change with the gear and see if that works.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:02 PM

Default Elgin S - 1145 Manual link

Let me start by saying, I know almost nothing about sewing machines, so try to be thorough in your answer. I just purchased Elgin Zig Zag Model S-1145 sewing machine and when I plug it in it just starts running. I cannot find a switch anywhere to turn it off/allow me to just . I know I am just overlooking it but if someone would be so kind as to point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

Here is the link to the manual http://www.singerco.com/uploads/down...e-s-1145-x.pdf

Originally Posted by retta97 View Post
Hello,
Just found your post and I bought a Elgin S - 1145 @ yard sale several years ago and have played with it and maybe this is your problem...Does it have a slide lever in center @ top of machine?? I was just playing with mine to see if I could discover problem and if lever is slide on the SS side you get VERY small stitches? Have you found a manual yet as I have done many web searches with no luck.If anyone out there has one PLEASE share as this is a real work horse machine but do not know how to use cams,streach stitch or button hole feature on it.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:09 PM

Is your bobbin winder touching the belt? It looks like that in the last picture.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:25 PM
Power Poster

Maybe a very small piece of metal or lint. I would open it up and get a magnet, like magnetic screwdrivers that might be able to get a small sliver of metal shaving possibly lodged in the gear. May want to use a magnifying glass. Had that happen to me. Somehow a small piece of needle broke off and got lodged.