Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bionic Gear Bag - Anyone Else Making It? >

Bionic Gear Bag - Anyone Else Making It?

Bionic Gear Bag - Anyone Else Making It?

Old 05-23-2014, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by RipStitcher View Post
Mommysewist...

I appreciate your input on all of this!

About ironing the PUL...

I guess the million dollar question is whether the stuff will crease with heat.... *IF*.... a person can use one of the silicone sheets to iron it.

When I use the laminate, I can still make a crease by using one of those silicone (at least that is what I think it's made of) ironing sheets (takes the place of a pressing cloth) to apply the heat so that the iron itself isn't hitting the laminate.

If it can't be creased, I wouldn't use it. JMO.

If you can seal needle holes with a dryer... how is this stuff through a regular clothes dryer?
Ok so PUL is an entirely synthetic fabric. It's a polyester knit with a polyurethane lamination on the back. My guess is, it just melts when you iron it :-(

I don't have a silicone pressing sheet or I'd try it for you. I have a ton of PUL scraps and I'd be more than happy to send you some if you inbox me your address or a po box. It's fun to play with :-)

I should have been more specific about sealing the needle holes. It's really easy. You just throw the project in your clothes dryer, on high heat, for 20 min. PUL is then machine washable, even hot water. But you shouldn't dry it again unless on low. I don't dry mine in the dryer, I just hang them on a clothes line.

It might not be the best for the bionic bag if you have to crease it but it does make nice makeup bags or maybe for wet swimsuits.

I was talking to my brother (another textile junkie) about laminating your bag. He mentioned a technique of painting the finished project with silicone caulking. Now the caulking has to be diluted first with a solvent. Apparently it a technique used by extreme hikers to make ultralight camping gear and bags? My brother is a survivalist and basically a mountain man. Anyway I've been trying to research the components to this process. This is all I've found so far but I haven't researched it a ton yet
http://m.instructables.com/id/Easy-w...nything-else-/
They're using mineral spirits as a solvent.
Anyway I hope any of this is helpful/interesting! I think I should have been an engineer, I LOVE problem solving! I also bought some laminating stuff to fiddle with when I make your bag so I'll let you know of I come up with anything decent. And let me know if you want some PUL scraps :-)
Old 05-23-2014, 12:39 PM

Okay, this looked so cool I had to make one for myself.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]476522[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]476523[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails bionic1.jpg   bionic2.jpg  
Old 05-23-2014, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by jlm5419 View Post
Okay, this looked so cool I had to make one for myself.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]476522[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]476523[/ATTACH]
Wow love the pink!! Looks really nice with your embroidery. I have to ask now where you got your magnetic pin cushion, it comes with a lid? I love those kind but I've never seen one with a lid.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:26 PM
Banned

I love the pink innards on this one.. and nice to see her embroidery machine got to come out and play!

Mommysewist... the magnetic pin dishes that I like are Hemline brand. The covers have a slot in them so you can replace a pin without having to take the cover off.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:38 AM
Banned

So much for staying home and behaving myself today!

I saw ~~~this line of fabrics~~~ about 2 months ago... and I just found out the not-so-local-quilt-store just got it in!

I want to make a bag that is color-pencil friendly. I have about 150 colored pencils (that I tend to look at and adore more than actually use!) and they deserve a bag of their own.

My granddaughter and I are off and running... lol...

I hope this fabric is as cute in real life as it looks in the pictures.

If not, I'm betting I find something else that trips my trigger.
Old 05-24-2014, 01:24 PM

That is a wonderful fabric line. I've got a collection of color pencils, but keep them in their tin to admire them.

Cheers, K
Old 05-24-2014, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by ann31039 View Post
Thats really neat. I may have to get the pattern and try it.
I'm with you I need one of those.
Old 05-24-2014, 02:05 PM
Banned

Anoka....

We used to almost be neighbors. I grew up in Forest Lake. Moved to Colorado in '96 or so.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CorgiNole View Post
That is a wonderful fabric line. I've got a collection of color pencils, but keep them in their tin to admire them.

Cheers, K
Sorry it's taken me so long to get back here...

I'm *soooo* excited about this fabric! The granddaughter and I did do a little damage at the fabric stores on Saturday! I just have to share a pic of this line... I have 3 bags I'm going to make out of it... so they all go together....

My favorite is the fabric to the right... it may be difficult to see, but it is watercolor paint pans... so cute!!!
Old 05-30-2014, 03:52 PM

This is on sale at http://www.craftsy.com/pattern/sewin...ons-tote/93596 She's listed it at $1.50 and will go up with every sale. I just purchased it for $1.75! YAY, finally procrastination pays off! LOL!
~ Pat