Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"birthing" a quilt - what to do about the edges >

"birthing" a quilt - what to do about the edges

"birthing" a quilt - what to do about the edges

Old 01-23-2013, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by ArtsyOne View Post
When I've used this method, I used a pair of embroidery scissors and very carefully cut the batting out from between the top and backing before turning it. At the corners, I cut the fabrics diagonally the way you would in garment sewing before turning a collar. Turn the quilt inside out and then flatten the edges before pressing.
you cut the batting away from the quilt top and back? then turn hoping that the batting will stay where it is supposed to?
Old 01-23-2013, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
There are numerous videos and tutorials available on the web...search for pillowcase method of quilt finishing. Here's a good one to give you an idea.
http://www.all-about-quilts.com/pillowcase-binding.html
wonderful information. i think i am finally understanding the process!
Old 01-23-2013, 06:18 AM

I basically use the method in that tutorial but I stitch around the two long sides and one short side with my serger before birthing the quilt. I also make the batting between 1.5 and 2 inches shorter than the rest. I turn the excess fabric inside to enclose the batting and pin baste all around the outside edges and every 4 inches or so across the whole quilt. I use open safety pins as they are easy to remove and less strain on my already worn out hands. I then machine quilt every four or so inches with a decorative stitch and varigated coordinated thread finshing by stitching about a half inch in from the edge to create a binding effect. I have made hundreds of such quilts for our local Linus project. I rarely bother to piece. I just use a child friendly print on the front and a coordinating solid color flannel on the back. If I use a printed flannel I use a solid cotton on the back.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:37 PM

I apologize for my first response. Obviously I didn't understand the "birthing" quilt creation method. Now I understand! Disregard my entire earlier post. (Can posts be deleted?)
Old 01-23-2013, 06:58 PM

I prefer to stitch with the batting on top, but have done it both ways successfully. I press the edges flat after its turned, then top stitch all the way around to keep it in position. I normally just tie birthed quilts. I have also only done this on baby quilts, and one lap quilt.