Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bit off more than I can chew?!? >

Bit off more than I can chew?!?

Bit off more than I can chew?!?

Old 03-02-2012, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I figure my material needs out before hand. I make a little sketch of the design just to make sure I've got all the fabric requirement correct. I buy the fabric and usually add 1/2 yd/m extra. I then cut enough to do the first block, starch, sew, iron and see how it looks. I like instant feedback and I can also make any changes before cutting all my material. Most of the time my pattern and material look great and I continue, 1 block at a time. I have had to occasionally switch out the placement or even a material if the block doesn't look like I want it to. Starching, ironing and cutting all the material would bore me and my sholder/elbow can't take doing all the rotary cutting at once anymore.
This is exactly the way I work.....I press and cut some, I sew some.....I go back and cut. At one time, the girl in charge of our quilt ministry wanted me to test the patterns she was giving out....you know, how much of this, how much of that. I tried it but found out I was "not going into my quilt studio" because it became so tedious to me. I gave the job back to her. She asked how I know when I have enough cut.....and I told her that when the size of my quilt tells me to stop, I stop....of course it helps that I'm a scrappy quilter so I don't worry so much about all the fabric matching.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:34 AM

No, i'm in that spot right now and im only making a beach quilt that will be 50"x50".
I've cut out the applique' peices, finally ironed the fabrics for the 9patch squares but cannot bring myself to get in there and cut the fabric. The prep work is one long process.
I just need to lock myself in my sewing room and do it. Since I only make quilts for my pleasure I don't have a deadline so that helps and I sometimes just need to be in the mood.
Good luck and good quilting.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:07 AM
Power Poster

Exclamation

I know the feeling. Hubby has been gone for 2 weeks and I spent the first week just staring at my stash; the first half of this week staring at patterns. Finally found THE pattern and got the motivation to start cutting.... he is due back tomorrow.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:12 AM

Gee, I thought I was alone! I have so little energy that a big project takes forever. So I will grab a few scraps and do a couple of scrappy blocks just so I feel like I've done something.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:53 AM

My husband has been retired for almost 20 years. I have been retired for 12. I find that when he goes on his golfing weeks, I get little done because I just enjoy having the house to my self. No meals on time...no laundry to pick up..pizza for breakfast if I want....complete control of the remote control. The time flies and then he is home again and I really haven't accomplished all the things I planned...but I did enjoy the peace and quiet.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:05 PM

Cutting and ironing often makes me think, uh when starting a quilt. But once I get to getting down with sewing and start seeing results, watch out the fun really begins for me. I like seeing it all come together, it's like A BEAUTIFUL PUZZLE. Hang in there you'll get your MOJO back. LOL
Old 03-02-2012, 03:02 PM

still pretty new to this addiction of mine... but I am slow. Have two pieces of fabric I found at the thrift store today in the dryer. I have to iron in shifts as low back arthritis keeps me from standing there too long. I just do what i can and eventually I have this lovely quilt. Hang in there............it is worth it.....
Old 03-02-2012, 03:23 PM

With husband gone, you've been thrown off "your game". Same thing happened when mine disappeared for an out of state deer hunt in November. Had all these great aspirations of finishing Christmas gifts and instead, I spent my time on QB and hanging out in my sweats in front of the tv eating cereal for supper. You have all this time and no excuses and yet, it just doesn't feel right. Your quilt will come together when the time is right. Believe we are all so caught up in life that we sometimes just can't enjoy the present as much as we should.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:28 PM
Power Poster

Sorry you feel out of sync with your quilting. I am one of those lucky people who can usually just go with the flow of what ever happens in the studio unless it interupts the current disaster I am working through. Just don't stop me from sewing and I'll be alright! Over the years I have learned so much through quilting. I am more patient, take my time, double check everything before I start anything and always expect to be interupted. What can ya do!

EDIT: I did notice in a few replys that women think they have to be doing something all the time, every waking second. You Don't. Time is time no matter if you are sitting and staring out the window, just relax and enjoy the time no matter what. Living shoud not be a hassle.
peace

Last edited by ube quilting; 03-02-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:18 PM
Power Poster

EDIT: I did notice in a few replys that women think they have to be doing something all the time, every waking second. You Don't. Time is time no matter if you are sitting and staring out the window, just relax and enjoy the time no matter what. Living shoud not be a hassle.
peace[/QUOTE]

This is so true! I think this must be "learned" behaviour....my mother, my sister and me....all the same, sit down for five minutes and we get a major guilt trip.