Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bit off more than I can chew?!? >

Bit off more than I can chew?!?

Bit off more than I can chew?!?

Old 03-02-2012, 07:19 PM
Power Poster

EDIT: I did notice in a few replys that women think they have to be doing something all the time, every waking second. You Don't. Time is time no matter if you are sitting and staring out the window, just relax and enjoy the time no matter what. Living shoud not be a hassle.
peace[/QUOTE]

This is so true! I think this must be "learned" behaviour....my mother, my sister and me....all the same, sit down for five minutes and we get a major guilt trip.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:18 PM

Well, I thought I was the only one in this shape. I've been procrastinating like crazy on my stuff. It disappoints me.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:37 PM

Anything worth doing needs good prep work.
I was wondering why I hadn't made so many quilts last year but then remembered I had made at least a dozen Bow Tucks Bags. I'm one of those who needs to be doing something all the time and suffers guilt if I waste time. Doesn't mean I don't but need to tell myself it's okay. Funny lot aren't we.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:47 PM

Tell you hubby thanks for serving. I also want to thank you for the sacrifice you make in being away from family and friends to support your man.

May God Bless you and your's. Have a Blessed weekend and a safe one. Dawn Marie Odya
Old 03-02-2012, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingCrazie View Post
I'm there with ya ...I love quilting but as soon as I give myself a deadline I can't seem to get all my ducks in a row...I try to not worry about time..mother of 5..4 at home if I'm given time I really don't know what to with it! 10 years quilting and I still haven't made a quilt just for me, in the works tho! Good luck and happy quilting
I wrote something for you but it showed up on page four.Im Dawn Marie Odya
Old 03-02-2012, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by karate lady View Post
still pretty new to this addiction of mine... but I am slow. Have two pieces of fabric I found at the thrift store today in the dryer. I have to iron in shifts as low back arthritis keeps me from standing there too long. I just do what i can and eventually I have this lovely quilt. Hang in there............it is worth it.....
I had 5 yards of one fabric and 3 of another.After unpacking it from moving across the united states with it I took it to the dry cleaners to iron it for me.I didnt mind the cost because my time is also worth somethig to me and I was able to do other things besides standing at an ironing board and it saved my right hand a lot of pain.It is on the hanger waiting for me to cut it up when i need it.It was all white with little patterns through out,roses,cars and trucks,hearts.I use this when I need some white here and there in the quilt.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Dawnmarieodya View Post
I had 5 yards of one fabric and 3 of another.After unpacking it from moving across the united states with it I took it to the dry cleaners to iron it for me.I didnt mind the cost because my time is also worth somethig to me and I was able to do other things besides standing at an ironing board and it saved my right hand a lot of pain.It is on the hanger waiting for me to cut it up when i need it.It was all white with little patterns through out,roses,cars and trucks,hearts.I use this when I need some white here and there in the quilt.

Dry Cleaners press yards of fabrics? Do they do a decent job? Do they hand press it, or run it through a mangle? This could be newsworthy! When I have a bunch of fabric to press, and it's going to take me hours, I'd be willing to pay a Dry Cleaners to run it through a mangle! (I used to run a mangle in my much younger years, and think it would be perfect for pressing quilting fabric.) I'm going to check this out.

I just bought out fabrics from an estate, a ton of them, with lots of small pieces (like about a yard) up to several yards. I have been washing and pressing non stop. Had to press the smaller stuff, otherwise I couldn't get it to lie flat and neatly folded for my stash. Larger stuff I could fold without pressing. I was urged on by the fact that I had agreed to an exchange of 2" patches with a gal who is making a postage stamp quilt. She wanted all singles. In return, she is sending me strips from which I can cut 8 - 2 1/2" squares --- you know, sew a light and a dark strip together, then cut out my double patches, rearrange, and sew into a 16 patch block, which is what I want. I'm copying my Great Grandmother's quilt, and that's how she did it.

Anyway, because this other gal was so excited to get patches, it kept me going through all the boredom or washing, pressing and cutting. I ended up sending her 438 patches! That was because of the fabric from the estate sale, because prior to that, I certainly didn't have that many fabrics in my stash!

It's a good thing I like scrappy quilts!

But right now, I have to take a break from everything quilting, and just do something else. This won't last long. But everyone needs a break from tedium!

Happy Days!
Old 03-03-2012, 12:38 AM

I know what you mean. Sometimes it takes me all day to get motivated to go in the sewing room and get started on anything to do with sewing. My present project is a quilt for my first great grandchild. Will post it when I get it done.
Dorothy
Old 03-03-2012, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Joset View Post
i never give my self a deadline. maybe i should every time i say i will
finish a quilt i end up starting another. go figure. lol
I am working on my PHD in Quilting (Projects Half-Done)! LOL