Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bits & Pieces >

Bits & Pieces

Bits & Pieces

Old 10-31-2010, 02:02 PM

I make trees out of the pits & pieces. I use the thread spools as the tree trunk and a chop stick(cs). Snip a small hole in the center of the fabric, push it on to the cs, fill the cs up till you think it looks nice, glue it into the the spool. Iall so put a old button on the top as a "star". I adjust the length of the cs so they are not all the same height, group they in three's and you have a "forrest".
Old 10-31-2010, 02:32 PM

A funny thing happened to me recently. I usually throw my scraps and cut threads into an old tissue box as I go along and then figure out what to do with them later. My sewing table is in the corner of our living room, and I asked my DH if he happened to throw that box out, thinking it was just trash. He said, "my dad threw it out. I told him not to touch it, but he threw it out anyway, insisting it's just full of trash." My dear, sweet, 82-year-old father-in-law, this is SOO something he would do. You gotta luv him!

I laughed because the scraps and threads in it were unusable to me, but now I don't have my tissue box to throw them in. I told my DH now he better finish our new box of tissues very quickly.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:58 PM

I collect small scraps of fabric in soft fruit plastic containers, keeping different colours separate. When I have sufficient, I 'scatter' the trimmings over a base fabric, carefully cover it with an appropriately coloured piece of chiffon (I use scarves purchased cheaply from charity shops), insert lots of flower pins through the layers to roughly hold everything together, and then use decorative stitches and free machining to trap the small pieces of fabric. I then cut the completed fabric to shape to make evening bags, etc.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:38 AM

Check the classified sections under scraps! I just sold 2 boxes of scraps. They paid postage and I had 2 less boxes! :-)
Old 11-29-2010, 03:55 AM

In response to your inquiry about small pieces, put them in a pillow case sized fabric, fill it about 3/4 full, serge closed and give to homeless animals for a bed. Everything is used - our stash is not overwhelming and we always like to buy new fabric anyway.

darlene