Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Bits & Pieces

I am wondering what to do with my bits and pieces of material that are not good to use for a scrapes. They are tiny little cuts that would be no good for anything. Any ideas? I hate to throw them away if they can be used in some way. Thanks.

Make "crumb" blocks-??? Check out www.quiltville.com to see some examples. Fun site too!

Some people make pet beds and use the tiny bits and pieces for stuffing.

Quote Originally Posted by bgullett
    I am wondering what to do with my bits and pieces of material that are not good to use for a scrapes. They are tiny little cuts that would be no good for anything. Any ideas? I hate to throw them away if they can be used in some way. Thanks.
    Some people on the board collect 'crumbs'. Hope they will chime in so we know who they are.

I use my really little ones for stuffing. The rest are waiting for inspiration. :-D

I'm with feline fanatic - useful for stuffing !

check with your local art teacher. they love bits and pieces

Blog Entries
    There is a trash can behind my sewing station.

Blog Entries
    How do the crumbs work for stuffing things? Are they soft like the polyfil or lumpy?

I just stuffed a medium sized flat rate box with my scraps that I don't use. I gave it away on the board the other night. Going to start a new one. Probably won't take too long since I'm doing Christmas sewing. The Gkids get new p.j.'s every year for Christmas.

Toss them.

That is what I use my trash can for.

I cut them up into tiny bits and put them into a jar make a pincushion on the lid. They look very cute.

Blog Entries
    it depends on how small you consider not usable? it seems to be different for different people. i know people who will not keep anything smaller than a 2 1/2" strip or square. some people toss anything smaller than a 5" square...some people do applique and save even itty bitty pieces. when my scraps are getting over abundant (they multiply like rabbits) i donate them to either the senior center, the pre-school or the elementary school art department. sometimes scouts want them too. my granddaughter's claim a whole garbage bag full every year...of the smallest scraps. they make what they call 'treasure boxes' with their friends. they cover boxes (the file type that printer paper comes in) with glue and then start 'designing' by gluing fabrics all over their boxes. they love this activity and everyone lucky enough to recieve one really does treasure it!

I save all my small bits, snipped threads, small batting bits ,etc for pincushion stuffing. Before I use it I go over it with my rotary cutter to break down the pieces more.

Banned
    I just vaccuum them up (all threads and scraps go onto the floor while I am working). anything larger then 3/4 I stash in bags for maybe a collage type picture.

Quilter's Jelly ... stuff them in a jelly jar or vase.

You could give them to my sister! She saves everything!!! :-D

I read recently the neatest idea for scraps and threads. They purchased one of the wire hanging baskets with peat moss, filled it with scraps of fabrics along with thread strings. They hung it on a tree outside, and the birds pull pieces from the basket and use to build their nests. I thought this was such and amazing idea. Just imagine how beautiful their nests are!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Matilda
    You could give them to my sister! She saves everything!!! :-D
    ROFL

OMG - now that is funny. :lol: Just had a thought after reading this one. I wonder if any of us qualify to be on that show on tv - "Hoarders".

Still ROFL

I keep a basket next to the cutting table and toss the all too small or unusable bits and piece in it. When it is full I make a dog bed and donate to the humane society. They love them and I consider it a worthwhile effort. The beds need to be at least 18 x 18. I have made 10 this year because I do a lot of charity quilting and have some donations that just don't work or require triming. It is a win-win situation. :D

I used my tiny scraps to stuff a pair of decorative pillows for my bedroom. I won't do that again. I think they're too heavy and yes...lumpy.
    Nope..from now on the scraps will go in the trash!

Check to see if a local church can use them as stuffing
    if they make ugly quilts or quilts for the homeless. Here
    we have "My Brother's Keeper" and they are happy to get
    bits and pieces or chunks..

One person on here puts them in a planting basket like you hang in the tree and birds use them to build their nests. Another idea we keep a bag at retreat to put nibbets in, then someone has a friend who used the gatherings for stuffing for beds for the animal shelter.

Quote Originally Posted by petersdk
    I used my tiny scraps to stuff a pair of decorative pillows for my bedroom. I won't do that again. I think they're too heavy and yes...lumpy.
    Nope..from now on the scraps will go in the trash!
    I considered the lumps when I made the dog pillows. Based on feedback, the owners and dogs seem to think the lumps are fine. The weight is another issue, but I have been told that the dogs seem to like these heavy pillows, so I will continue. However, I completely agree with getting rid of what you don't use anymore. The trash can was made to help prevent horders of unusable items. Toss it if you can't figure out how to use it in a meaningful way!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast