Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bittersweet! >

Bittersweet!

Bittersweet!

Old 01-21-2011, 08:33 PM

My brother used to live in Elgin. It is a nice little town! Don't worry so much and open your shop there. I can't recall if there were any LQS there, but I believe you will do just fine. :-)
Old 01-21-2011, 08:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Minister
I have been working so hard to get my business ready to open and my dh job shut down and he was offered a higher position at a plant in Austin,Tx. and he ACCEPTED! Can you believe this! All of my dreams have went up in smoke! I am in Tx now so he could look at the plant and the city. I was hoping he did not really care for it but nooooo he loves it. When we get back home we're moving. I am numb! My kids live in Killeen and is an hour away. I know no one in Austin or anywhere else in Tx.
LUCKY girl.TX is a HOT bed for quilters and quilt shows and quilt shops....I have a cousin in Austin, if you need me to I can drive down from OK to welcome you to my HOME state!

Buck up kiddo, you could be in OKLAHOMA
Old 01-21-2011, 09:21 PM

My sister lives in San Marcos, about half an hour south I think. When I visited I was amazed at what a fun area it is. They don't spend too much time in Austin, but they do spend a lot of time exploring different little towns around the area. I went there for a visit last spring and I was amazed at all the fun places there are in a day trip distance. We went somewhere every day looking for quilt shops and just fun historic places. There is a little town south of Austin, but not far, called Wimberley. I fell in love with that little town at first sight. They have the cutest little touristy shopping area. We went there twice but I still don't think we saw everything. We also went to the Market days that they have there. It was amazing ! It is so big you could get lost there. But there is food and a big covered place with tables and bands or singers all the time. So a good place to rest and get your bearings.

Another place we went to was Gruen. It has a dance hall that is supposedly one of the oldest in the country. Lots of famous people have been there and it has even been in movies. There are lots of cute shops and antique places around there as well.

My sister has made a project of learning about all the little towns and their histories. She is not very good at exploring by herself, but with me for support we had a great time and found lots to do. Plus we could go at our own pace. She does not like driving on the freeway too much either, so she took me on a lot of back roads, thorugh out of the way places most people would never see.

I think the thing I loved most about the area was how friendly everyone was. It took a bit to get used to being called Ma'am but otherwise it was great. Every one says hi when you walk into a store, and you never feel ignored. But in a welcoming way, not in a "are you going to steal something?" sort of way.

Oh and don't be surprised if you find the best barbecue in crazy out of the way places you would never expect. My BIL kept saying that my sister had to take me to Rudy's for barbecue. I think we went to the one in New Braunfels, but I am not sure. Anyway we pulled into a gas station called Rudy's and I thought we were getting gas, but nope, lunch. I don't think I ever ate at a gas station before. We walked through the minimart part and into a huge room full of the most wonderful aroma and lots of tables covered with red check table clothes. It was a great experience, and the food was great too. We went to lots of other barbecue places but that was the best.

I found several great quilt shops too, and spent a fortune. I would move there in a heart beat if it was closer to my kids. I live 8 hours away now and that would be much farther. But maybe if I could talk them into coming with, hmmm, idea.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:31 AM

Guess it felt like a sucker punch to the gut.So sorry this happened. Well, being cliche' As they say when one door closes another one opens. Put your computer to work for you. Make a postive list, first & most important .... A list of quilt shops in the area, area restuarants and so on.Then make that con list. I think that you'll find the positive outweighs the negative. Life is to short, BLOOM where your planted or in your case transplanted. Will say a prayer for you & your family. Remember the words of Lee Ann Womacks song "Dance".
Old 01-22-2011, 12:36 AM

Good luck. It can be tough to start over in a new place. I hope you didn't have too much invested in your business that you can't take with you.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:39 AM

Hi!
Glen Rose is a few hours from Austin, but you officially know someone there...ME! Anytime you find yourself out this way, give a holler. We'll go get some coffee or go shopping or hit some awwwwwesome quilt shops (there are some great shops in Austin, don't 'cha know?)or all of the above.

Welcome to Texas.
Lori
Old 01-22-2011, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Originally Posted by Minister
I have been working so hard to get my business ready to open and my dh job shut down and he was offered a higher position at a plant in Austin,Tx. and he ACCEPTED! Can you believe this! All of my dreams have went up in smoke! I am in Tx now so he could look at the plant and the city. I was hoping he did not really care for it but nooooo he loves it. When we get back home we're moving. I am numb! My kids live in Killeen and is an hour away. I know no one in Austin or anywhere else in Tx.
LUCKY girl.TX is a HOT bed for quilters and quilt shows and quilt shops....I have a cousin in Austin, if you need me to I can drive down from OK to welcome you to my HOME state!

Buck up kiddo, you could be in OKLAHOMA
Enid is my hubby's birth place :D
Dear MIL lives in Watonga ... we get there a few times a year.
Oklahoma has been very, very good to me!

Lori
Old 01-22-2011, 01:22 AM
Banned

Enid is my hubby's birth place :D
Dear MIL lives in Watonga ... we get there a few times a year.
Oklahoma has been very, very good to me!

Lori
Lori wish I could say the same....we moved to Enid from the Alaska bush and I am more bored here than I ever was out there! and at time it feels like I am still in the outlands..there are NO quilt shops, and now only Hobby lobby for fabric.....eeewwww.....

So love my trips down to TX....
Old 01-22-2011, 06:24 AM

Austin is actually a fun place, you'll find lots to do out there. Enjoy your new journey!
Old 01-22-2011, 06:47 AM
Power Poster

I am sorry about your business, but with my husband out of work for a year now I would be glad to have him working again.( He's still looking.) Can't you open your business in Austin, of course after you get to know the area? Be glad he has a job.