Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Blanket stitch along a pieced seam? >

Blanket stitch along a pieced seam?

Blanket stitch along a pieced seam?

Old 02-18-2015, 03:54 PM

Default Blanket stitch along a pieced seam?

Has anyone ever tried blanket stitching along a pieced seem? If so, any tips about what way to press the seem?

I am doing the Under the Veranda block of the month: http://amandamurphydesign.bigcartel....er-the-veranda

Right now we are on month 4, which they call the "panel block"... if you look in the picture, it is the one in the lower left corner of the quilt. It is hard to see the details of it in the little photo, but I was having trouble finding a pic of just that block. This one is slightly larger: http://www.robertkaufman.com/quiltin...randa/#color:1

The block is made up a rectangle of the background fabric with a half circle appliquéd to it. That background square is then pieced to a rectangle of the same fabric as the half circle. Repeat for other end of the rectangle, then add sashing around the block using the background fabric.

Anyhow, I think it looks a bit odd to only have the rounded "ends" blanket stitched. So I am looking for tips, but couldn't find anything online.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:03 AM

Sorry I can't help with your query but that sure is a lovely quilt. Hope to see yours when finished - what colours are you using?
Old 02-19-2015, 06:26 AM

I am using the Topiary color way, seen in the first link of my post. This is the first time I have worked with fabric made by Blend. I love the fabric, it feels wonderful and the colors make me happy! Amanda Murphy has some nice designs, although I must admit the instructions could be a little better... especially on the side projects. I wouldn't want to tackle this one as a complete beginner unless you had some good guidance, but it is easy enough if you have a little experience.

This is what I have done so far with it: http://hoopsandthimbles.com/portfoli...r-the-veranda/
Old 02-19-2015, 07:59 AM
Power Poster

WOW, what a very pretty pattern. Have you tried sending an email to the pattern designer?? I have never know any time that I have done a buttonhole stitch over a seam. Are the elongated egg shapes appliqued on the background rectangle?? Not sure by the photo where the stitching would be on a pieced seam.