Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bleeding Through >

Bleeding Through

Bleeding Through

Old 12-14-2009, 09:37 PM
Banned

I made a tree skirt that had a red backing (I prewashed ALL of the fabric). I did not wash it after I was done making it (which I guess I should have). My husband, when filling up the tree holder, spilled water on the skirt -- now the white thread that I used to quilt is showing red on the top of the tree skirt; some of the lighter fabric around the thread is also showing red..

What should I do? Wash the tree skirt now, and hope the red on the top washes away? What's my best option at this point?
Old 12-14-2009, 09:57 PM
Power Poster

You could try washing it with a color catcher...or several of them in the washer.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:05 PM
Power Poster

I would probably try washing with Synthrapol several times. That is your best bet for removing a bleed. The dye that has migrated has not been set by chemicals or heat, so it's likely it will migrate again when you wash it. Synthrapol suspends unset dye particles in the water so they do not settle into fabric.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:09 AM

Reds are notorious. Try the color catcher, but do not put it in the dryer if the run has not come out. Instead, keep trying.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:37 PM
Banned

Well, I washed it 3 times with color catchers, and unfortunately it looks even worse than before! The red that had bled through from the back through the thread is not gone, and now the lighter fabric has a definite red tinge to it. :( Do I have any other options at this point?
Old 12-16-2009, 08:48 PM
Power Poster

That could be fabric that is going to continually bleed. You may not be able to do anything to stop it. I am so so so so sorry!!!!!!
Keep it from the heat, and maybe someone else will have a different idea for you to try.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:22 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by rivka
Well, I washed it 3 times with color catchers, and unfortunately it looks even worse than before! The red that had bled through from the back through the thread is not gone, and now the lighter fabric has a definite red tinge to it. :( Do I have any other options at this point?
Try washing it with Synthrapol several times. Even if the fabric keeps bleeding, Synthrapol should prevent unset dye particles from settling in the other fabrics. It also has at least a chance of removing the dye that has stained the white fabric as long as those bleeds have not been set with heat.

It could take several washings. I would start with cold water and work up to hot water. Synthrapol says to use hot water with it, but my fear is that with this amount of bleeding the hot water may release more dye than the Synhrapol can keep suspended. That's why I'd change the temperature gradually with each washing.

At the very end, if you get to a point where the wash water is nearly clear and there is still staining in the white fabric, I would do a final wash with Synthrapol and a powdered bleach that is safe for colors (such as Clorox-2). That might remove the remaining unwanted color.

Many quilt shops carry Synthrapol now.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:52 AM
Banned

Okay, thanks -- I'll call around today and see if any of our LQS carry it, and give it a try.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:31 AM
Banned

I just have to comment on how awesome my husband is -- I told him over IM that I really needed this Synthrapol stuff, but because I was at work, I couldn't call around. He says, "I'll do it!" and so he called around to quilt shops for me, found a place that carries it, and is going to go pick it up. He's such a sweet guy, and so supportive of my quilting -- he even helped me seam rip for half an hour last night!
Old 12-17-2009, 01:25 PM
Power Poster

Hmmm.... Sounds like a "keeper" for sure!