Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Blind Hem vs. Zig Zag for Turned Edge Applique >

Blind Hem vs. Zig Zag for Turned Edge Applique

Blind Hem vs. Zig Zag for Turned Edge Applique

Old 05-24-2019, 08:30 AM

Default Blind Hem vs. Zig Zag for Turned Edge Applique

I have been looking at doing invisible machine applique with clear polyester thread for turned edges. In researching the correct needle sizes, bobbin thread weight, tension settings, etc. it seems that most quilters either prefer the blind hem stitch or the zig zag stitch, both stitches reduced to small widths and lengths.

Other than the appearance, is there any particular reason for using one over the other? Does one hold in different situations better- i.e. straight lines vs. points and curves? Is it because quilt show judges like one stitch better than the other?

Thanks for your help!
Old 05-24-2019, 09:47 AM

I'm not an expert... but I think the blind hem stitch is suppose to give it a hand/needle turn applique look. Since its ---^---^---^ stitches just take wee 'bites' ever few stitches as opposed to the zig-zaging ^^^^^ look.

Personally - I like the look of invisible applique w/ the blind hem stitch. I use this method quite often. But when I want an applique to have an outlined look - then I use a satin stitch with a contrast/complimentary thread.
Blessings,
Donna Mc
Old 05-25-2019, 02:43 AM

I can’t speak for quilt shows or judging...I think it depends on the appliqué project or “look” you desire. I have used both and they are completely different in the way the stitches look. I think it’s simply a personal choice not that one is better than another.
Old 05-26-2019, 03:06 AM

I took a class from David Taylor whose big flower machine appliqued quilts are gorgeous. He uses a blind hem stitch with invisible thread. I like his methods and have used them with both invisible poly thread and cotton thread.
Old 05-26-2019, 08:17 AM

Judges do not look for a particular stitch on the appliqué. What they look for is: “is it done well”? Yes, I am a Judge. :-)