Blind Hem Foot

Old 11-03-2014, 10:26 AM

Default Blind Hem Foot

I'm hemming some skirts for a friend and i have the blind hem cam for my Singer 328k but none of the foot attachments that I have look anything like the blind hem foot that i use with my Baby Lock. Does one not exist or does it look totally different than the modern feet?
Old 11-03-2014, 11:35 AM

Sarabela,

For blind stitched hems, the instruction manual for my Singer 328 shows:

Fashion Disk: Blind Stitch 3
Stitch Width: 2 - 4
Stitch Length: 10-15
General Purpose throat plate and presser foot ( picture shows the regular ZZ foot )
Seam guide.

So I guess you're covered as far as the presser foot goes.

Joe
Old 11-03-2014, 12:00 PM

Great thank you so much. I do have the seam guide as well.
Old 11-03-2014, 12:37 PM

I know there is a special blind hem foot that fits low shank zigzag machines. I have one, it guides the folds in the fabric so you get that perfect little every third stitch right where you want it. I played with mine a few months ago and it worked well. The problem is I can't find mine and the camera's batteries are dead.
Here's the first one I found on Ebay. Mine is pretty similar.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blind-Hem-ED...item5888352db0
Rodney
Old 11-03-2014, 02:02 PM
Banned

Rodney,
With the stitch built into the machine you use the regular zig zag(or "special purpose") foot. The blind hem foot or attachment is for a machine that can't do the stitch.

Cari
Old 11-03-2014, 05:58 PM

The one I have is used with the blind hem stitch. All it does is ride along the folds to guide the fabric. It's not one of the old blind hem attachments for straight stitch machines that moves the fabric like a zigzag attachment.
https://www.google.com/search?q=usin...a&channel=fflb
Rodney
Old 11-03-2014, 06:10 PM
Banned

Okay, I get it. Guess I should maybe pay more attention. The only machine I have with all the newfangled feet is the Euro Pro and you know why I don't use it much.

Cari
Old 11-04-2014, 12:18 AM

I don't think they're vintage feet. The one I have worked pretty well after I practiced a bit.
Rodney
Old 11-04-2014, 02:41 AM
Power Poster

I have a blind hem attachment - I think it works better than anything built in - I think it has something to do with the shape of the foot part
Old 11-04-2014, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I have a blind hem attachment - I think it works better than anything built in - I think it has something to do with the shape of the foot part
Miriam, they're talking about the ZZ machine with the #4 flat cam. I have the blind hem attachment too, and it's for straight stitch machines. Works exactly the same way (so it doesn't work all that well).

I think Joe's info is right and my 320 manual had the exact same information. The normal foot is used during blind hemming since it's a straight stitch with zig-zag (every fourth stitch). I've tried blind hemming with the attachment and with cams and neither do what I'd call an acceptable job. If I want a true blind hem I'll do it by hand. Catching exactly one thread is what makes it blind and after several hours of following the instructions to the letter I could still see the occasional thread.
You'd probably be able to do it with a hand crank.
If I'm just doing it wrong and you've been able to do blind stitches on the machine please tell me. I'd love to save the time it takes to do it by hand.