Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
blizzard quilt >

blizzard quilt

blizzard quilt

Old 03-11-2021, 03:45 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Gay View Post
I googled 'blizzard quilt patterns' and came up with this page. Am wondering if Blizzard is the company name. You may find the one you're looking for here.

Blizzard quilts
Gay .... you sure have got my attention with this!
In particular the first two (same pattern, different source).
WOW what a difference in price between the e-pattern and hardcopy.

I am SO tempted!!!
Having just finished an embroidered snowman quilt, do I really want/need another?
hhmmmmmmm

Old 03-12-2021, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Oh I was thinking it was a quilt you made while stuck during a blizzard. 🤣 You know, like how people are making quarantine quilts?
That was my thought too! If I waited for a blizzard, I wouldn't get much quilting done. Even though I am from the mitten state, we haven't had a good blizzard in a couple of years. Yes, I miss a good lock you in the house for three days with soup and a quilt project kind of blizzard sounds delightful to me.
Old 03-12-2021, 07:15 AM

problem for waiting for a three day blizzard here in northern minnesota....is that it usually happens during the very short daylight hours days and the power goes out too. I had a treadle down in the basement I always dreamed of getting fixed up so I could treadle away during a blizzard....both getting a quilt done and keeping warm at the same time. Wonder how hot my ancestors got while motoring that treadle?
Old 03-13-2021, 05:58 AM

That is what I thought Peckish. It has been snowing here for 3 days and getting more snow today and a blizzard quilt is what I thought would be what quilters make while stuck inside the house with bad weather outside
Old 03-14-2021, 05:14 AM

In a lot of states, it isn't just blizzards- it's the brutal cold that keeps us inside. The roads might be fine but venturing out when it is 20-30 below is just not safe. Soon it will be summer.
Old 03-14-2021, 01:11 PM

Hopefully this link will work for you. It is for a post from Eugene Modern Quilt Guild December 2020 meeting. You will have to scroll wayyyy down to the bottom two twin sized quilts. They are blue, white, grey and a touch of green. The link to the pattern is above the 1st quilt, and is the same pattern that was linked in your previous threads about this quilt.

Hope this helps! It really could be a cute, quick way to use scraps and make a quilt. It could also be made larger, if you wanted to keep going.

https://eugenemodernquiltguild.blogs...blizzard+quilt

Last edited by peaceandjoy; 03-14-2021 at 01:23 PM.
Old 03-14-2021, 01:23 PM

PS - Assuming that this is the quilt you are looking for - I found the "pattern", such as it is, to be interesting. It explains that pioneer women called these utilitarian quilts "blizzard quilts" as they were done up quickly with what they had on hand as blizzard season approached.

Also interesting was the note at the bottom of the instructions, saying that the pattern was from a list serve group called Quiltopia. Anyone remember that? From the very early days of internet, I think - my memory of it is very vague.