Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bloc Loc Rulers

Red face Bloc Loc Rulers

Has anyone ever used a Bloc Loc Ruler? I saw it on YouTube and it looked very clever! I looked it up online and found that they aren't inexpensive. I am a big fan of products that work and save me time, but I don't like spending money on gadgets that aren't worth the moola. I would love to hear comments from quilters who have tried/bought the Bloc Loc.

Will be waiting for an answer too.

Blog Entries
    For squaring up half square triangle blocks, you can't beat Eleanor Burns Quilt in a Day "triangle square up ruler.' they are squares that come in 6 1/2 and 9 1/2 inch sizes. They will do increments up to the max size, so you get a lot of bang for your buck. After you sew the blocks, before you open them, you line up the correct size on your stitching line and trim the excess. Then open and press. I have both sizes and they are among my must-have tools.
    Stephanie in Mena

Blog Entries
    OH I love your doggie quilt avatar!!! so very cute!!

I have been demoing the Bloc Loc Rulers for almost a year at local shops and shows. They are nice if you do a lot of HST. The cost is quite high. For HST the 6 1/2" size is the most versatile. The flying geese rulers they have are all size specific and I don't feel are worth the money. I'd rather do the no-waste flying geese method. The new rectangle rulers come in a package of 2 and I feel are the most versatile. There is even a book that goes with the new set. They bad thing is the cost. The new rectangle set is $40. I don't remember the cost of the book that you can use with the rulers. All that being said, it depends on the number of HST you make. The quilt Cinnamon Lodge by the creators of Bloc Loc is really cool but you can do it without their rulers. I do own the 6 1/2" square and I believe I have a smaller one, and although I do like the rulers, I don't make enough HST to warrant buying more and the cost is too high for my liking. I do own the new rectangle set and I feel I will get more use out of these, but I still feel the price is too high, but at least I can make more with the rectangle set (I also have the book too). I hope that helps.

I have a set of Bloc Loc rulers and love them. The ruler will lay flat on the half square triangle so you get a very accurate when trimming to size. When using a rotating mat, trimmimg to size is much less work.

Thanks! I love my wiener dogs!!

I use Bloc_Loc all the time. They are the best square up rulers I have used in twenty years. I buy mine at a local quilt shop. Fabric Crafts.
    Last edited by at the farm; 07-23-2012 at 04:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    OH I love your doggie quilt avatar!!! so very cute!!
    Me too! It is precious!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Bloc_Loc rulers = THE VERY BEST RULERS SINCE SLICED BREAD! Seriously......I just finished making blocks for a quilt...I had to make 504 HST. This ruler made it so easy to cut them accurately. Every block came out perfect. In my opinion....these rulers rock and are worth every penny.

I have the 6 inch one and really like it. Always hated doing triangles because ruler always moved when squaring up. This ruler makes squaring up so easy and squares are all the same size. I thought it was worth the price.

Quote Originally Posted by k9dancer View Post
    For squaring up half square triangle blocks, you can't beat Eleanor Burns Quilt in a Day "triangle square up ruler.' they are squares that come in 6 1/2 and 9 1/2 inch sizes. They will do increments up to the max size, so you get a lot of bang for your buck. After you sew the blocks, before you open them, you line up the correct size on your stitching line and trim the excess. Then open and press. I have both sizes and they are among my must-have tools.
    Same here - one of my "must-haves." Trimming two sides a time with two swipes of the cutter I find much faster than making four individual swipes around a square.

I found a June Taylor ruler at Walmart for squaring up HST's and I love it. At the time I bought it it was $13, but that was some time ago. Their website has it listed for $25 but Walmart might still be cheaper. It doesn't have the locking feature that the Bloc-Loc does so if that is an issue you might want to invest in them. I'll stick to the JT.
    http://store.junetailor.com/store/p-...les-ruler.aspx
    OCD in the OC

I have the June Taylor too, and it works fine considering the difference in price. I, too, got mine at Walmart and it was on sale too, so I think it ended up costing me around $9.
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

Quote Originally Posted by krisgray View Post
    Same here - one of my "must-haves." Trimming two sides a time with two swipes of the cutter I find much faster than making four individual swipes around a square.
    I haven't heard of the bloc lock rulers but I do have the Eleanor Burns 6 1/2 HST ruler and it's worth it's weight in gold, or diamonds, IMO and not expensive for what it does.

We sell the Bloc Loc in the quilt store I work in. The price is high but well worth the investment. You get 6 sizes from 1 inch up to 6 inches and they are 80.00.

I also have the 6-1/2 square and absolutely love it. I am making a carpenter's wheel which is all half-square triangles... this worked perfectly...and I have nice even squares... I could never get my corners where they were supposed to be before I used this ruler... you can make all sizes from 1-inch up to 6-inches with the 6-inch size...

This is my favorite too....Just zip, zip...trim two sides and you're done!
    Quote Originally Posted by k9dancer View Post
    psumom

ummm. what is HST? thanks
    <^..^> Jyll <^..^>

Quote Originally Posted by stitchnstuff View Post
    ummm. what is HST? thanks
    Sorry we get so familiar with abreviations we forget, HST is Half Square Triangle, like this:
    Attached Images Attached Images

I bought the 6" Bloc Loc Ruler. Have only used it a couple times, but it works great. I need to make more HST so I can use it more.

Blog Entries
    your avatar is cute looks like the dog is dis-com-bob-u-lated lol
    SMILE- it will make everyone wonder what you are up to.
    Stay strong and keep looking up.

Love them!!! I like them better than EB's ruler. They don't slip or wobble.
    Last edited by Bethels; 07-30-2012 at 05:51 PM.

Blog Entries
    This ruler is on my list to buy when I go to nearby quilt shop this week. I've read great reviews about it from other quilters.
    Got fabric?

I've always just used my 6-1/2 inch square ruler to square up HST's. It seems to work fine for me - line up the diagonal line and swipe two sides, turn the block 180 degrees and do the same thing. But now that I looked at the video for the bloc lock, I can see that it might be helpful to keep the ruler from slipping.

Honestly, there are so many different rulers out there that it's difficult to know which ones would really be helpful and which are just a waste of money. I tend to not buy into the gadget spiel most of the time, but once in a while I find one that makes a big difference in time spent on blocks and accuracy. This might be the next one that makes its way into my studio!!
    -Chris-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Blessed are the children of quilters, for they shall inherit the quilts....

It does not do well, Harry, to dwell on the dreams....and forget to live. - Albus Dumbledore

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast