Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bloc Loc Rulers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bloc-loc-rulers-t195314.html)

ankegram 07-21-2012 12:55 PM

Bloc Loc Rulers

Has anyone ever used a Bloc Loc Ruler? I saw it on YouTube and it looked very clever! I looked it up online and found that they aren't inexpensive. I am a big fan of products that work and save me time, but I don't like spending money on gadgets that aren't worth the moola. I would love to hear comments from quilters who have tried/bought the Bloc Loc.

mucky 07-21-2012 04:37 PM

Will be waiting for an answer too.

k9dancer 07-21-2012 04:52 PM

For squaring up half square triangle blocks, you can't beat Eleanor Burns Quilt in a Day "triangle square up ruler.' they are squares that come in 6 1/2 and 9 1/2 inch sizes. They will do increments up to the max size, so you get a lot of bang for your buck. After you sew the blocks, before you open them, you line up the correct size on your stitching line and trim the excess. Then open and press. I have both sizes and they are among my must-have tools.

nativetexan 07-21-2012 05:42 PM

OH I love your doggie quilt avatar!!! so very cute!!

Handcraftsbyjen 07-21-2012 06:14 PM

I have been demoing the Bloc Loc Rulers for almost a year at local shops and shows. They are nice if you do a lot of HST. The cost is quite high. For HST the 6 1/2" size is the most versatile. The flying geese rulers they have are all size specific and I don't feel are worth the money. I'd rather do the no-waste flying geese method. The new rectangle rulers come in a package of 2 and I feel are the most versatile. There is even a book that goes with the new set. They bad thing is the cost. The new rectangle set is $40. I don't remember the cost of the book that you can use with the rulers. All that being said, it depends on the number of HST you make. The quilt Cinnamon Lodge by the creators of Bloc Loc is really cool but you can do it without their rulers. I do own the 6 1/2" square and I believe I have a smaller one, and although I do like the rulers, I don't make enough HST to warrant buying more and the cost is too high for my liking. I do own the new rectangle set and I feel I will get more use out of these, but I still feel the price is too high, but at least I can make more with the rectangle set (I also have the book too). I hope that helps.

bsquilter 07-22-2012 04:16 AM

I have a set of Bloc Loc rulers and love them. The ruler will lay flat on the half square triangle so you get a very accurate when trimming to size. When using a rotating mat, trimmimg to size is much less work.

ankegram 07-22-2012 12:26 PM

Thanks! I love my wiener dogs!!

at the farm 07-23-2012 03:53 AM

I use Bloc_Loc all the time. They are the best square up rulers I have used in twenty years. I buy mine at a local quilt shop. Fabric Crafts.

Latrinka 07-23-2012 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan (Post 5383327)
OH I love your doggie quilt avatar!!! so very cute!!

Me too! It is precious!

Sewgood 07-23-2012 05:21 AM

Bloc_Loc rulers = THE VERY BEST RULERS SINCE SLICED BREAD! Seriously......I just finished making blocks for a quilt...I had to make 504 HST. This ruler made it so easy to cut them accurately. Every block came out perfect. In my opinion....these rulers rock and are worth every penny.