Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
block exchange-irregular sizes-what now >

block exchange-irregular sizes-what now

block exchange-irregular sizes-what now

Old 08-02-2011, 10:57 AM
Power Poster

My solution for exchange blocks is usually to set them wonky. I add 2-3 inch strips to all the blocks, set my large omnigrid square on top of the block (but turned) and rotary cut out the new square. You can also look up a pattern for cutting and setting wonky strips but too much work for me.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by dlux
I participated in a block exchange with a group of 13 ladies. Now I have blocks that vary in size from 12 1/4" to 12 3/4". The pieced blocks mostly have nice points and will be set on point with a lattice between then. Now what do I do...trim them all to 12 1/4 and lose some points? Or vary the width of the lattice and not lose the points? Any suggestions?
Here are my thoughts:

Do not trim them - I believe you would be sorry that you did that.

Cut the lattice so that the WOF runs along the block edges - which will give you a little give on the lattice when you are working on the larger blocks. I would start by cutting a few at 12 1/2" and try sewing one to the smallest one (you may have to coax the block - Steam and Niagra work great - you may have to stretch is a bit when you press it - lol) and then to the largest one (you will have to tug at the lattice a bit - but that is why I say use WOF as it has some give to it ). In all honesty - those measurements are only ± 1/4" - if they are correct - I'm thinking you ought to be able to make it work
Old 08-02-2011, 12:20 PM

I'm also going to have this problem (challenge) with some blocks I have received in a swap. Mine have ranged so far from 12" to 13". I think I will be adding at least 2" of my feature fabric and trim them to 13 1/2 or so and work with that. They will all appear to have a frame of some sort.

I love the blocks received in our swap so far ... I think some just didn't understand the different of a finished 12" block needing to have have seam allowances left on them.

Wouldn't trade them for anything though!
Old 08-02-2011, 12:33 PM
Power Poster

yep, add borders around them and trim all the same size. then you can put them on point with sashings and they will look fine. good luck.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Zhillslady
I've tried both before and the trimmed points were a lot less noticable than the varied sashing. Just my advice.
I have to agree. Varied size of sashing always shows.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by AndiR
I would do as Jeri suggested - a border around each block to bring them all up to a common size.
I have to agree with Jeri. Add a border around each block to bring them all up to a common size. In this process you can over size your border that you're adding and then cut them down to then make sure that you have the same size with all of the blocks.

Pam M
milp04--OH
Old 08-03-2011, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by moonwork42029
I'm also going to have this problem (challenge) with some blocks I have received in a swap. Mine have ranged so far from 12" to 13". I think I will be adding at least 2" of my feature fabric and trim them to 13 1/2 or so and work with that. They will all appear to have a frame of some sort.

I love the blocks received in our swap so far ... I think some just didn't understand the different of a finished 12" block needing to have have seam allowances left on them.

Wouldn't trade them for anything though!
With that amount of variation - I too would do that. The frame should look great.