Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Block info please >

Block info please

Block info please

Old 04-21-2024, 12:41 PM

I tracked down the book and found it on both ebay and amazon. the original is shown with white fabric alternating with colors but I especially like the quilt you have with all colors in the star. I'm ordering the book from amazon and hoping that as it came out in 1998 it can be sewn by machine, not by hand.
Old 04-21-2024, 02:30 PM
Power Poster

Hello Toogie ... First, quilting!!
DebLuvsQuilting’s newspaper link has the pattern pieces and directions for 12” blocks. You need to enlarge the pattern pieces to size. Could even go larger (16” block?) if you wanted. Otherwise, the work is done for you, instead of trying to trace from the photo and with all those curves, it would be way too easy for it to be wonky from the get-go. I’m sure that you could do it by machine. Kind of like a big Drunkard’s Path project! Without a doubt, it would be a great scrappy quilt and oh what a real treasure that would be!

You asked for reading material … that newspaper link has lots to occupy your time. Old “Quilt Journal” publications, newspaper clippings, quilt photos and quilt stories. And Much More! An incredible resource site for everyone.

Thanks for your wrist update. I’m sure you are counting every.single.day! It’s OK for you to feel frustrated and feel like you are a wimp. But that you are NOT!! When I get like that, I just say I’m having a pity party, with hopes I can find something to refocus on QUICKLY!! 😊

Going from independence to being dependent for sure, is a total annoyance. Your husband’s frustrations could be partly because to him you look/seem/talk as though all is normal and good. Just that one “paw” has a problem, and he doesn’t notice it.

Poor you to be dealing your broken wrist is bad enough, but OMG poison ivy along with it. Horrors! Not wanting to give you more to fret about, but if you haven’t already, perhaps you should be in touch with your doctor. It’s hard to know what might be festering inside the cast and the sooner the better that be dealt with.

Keep counting down to cast removal date!! And then I am guessing there’ll be physio? When that time comes, be sure to tell the physio you want it based around things you can do for quilting! 😊

Things will get better!! Meanwhile, you know you have a whole bunch of quilters here, cheering you on, Toogie!
Old 04-21-2024, 05:24 PM
Gay

have pm'd you
Old 04-22-2024, 04:17 PM

I talked to the lady Emily, that sent me the picture of this quilt. I was trying to find out the block size. The quilt belongs to a friend of Emily’s cousin. She measured the outer circle and said it’s about 17 inches across. I’m thinking it may have been as large as 18.5 with turning the edges to Applique , quilting and washing over time. Anyway, Emily said that her cousin and the lady are coming Thursday to our sew day to Show & Tell about the quilt. I will pass on any info you all have provided.

QuiltE- thank you for all your info. I can’t find the link you spoke of, but it would have been nice to bring the pattern with me Thursday. Also, about the poison Ivy. Nurse said the shot to help dry it up was cortisone and I refused bc not good for my bones. I’m still toughing it out, although hubby wanted me to go back to dr.
Old 04-22-2024, 05:27 PM
Power Poster

Hello Toogie ... Good to know that you did talk with the nurse about the poison ivy concern. Just too bad there isn't something they could do to help you that you'd feel "safe" with. I've PM'd you about the pattern.
Old 04-23-2024, 07:52 AM
Power Poster

It's so hard to be incapacitated. I know this as well. I had my knees replaced in July and November and I was on the sofa with ice for a long time! I was bored and frustrated but the pain limited me to do anything fun. I ended up watching a lot of Youtube videos on quilting, cooking, etc just to get through the days. You'll get there, friend! HUGS
Old 04-27-2024, 03:46 AM
Reb

Oh, sorry I can’t help but! This is what I’d like to do, try to find a pattern from a picture. Please help if you can explain how you got the picture in your post. I can’t figure it out. Thank you!
Old 04-27-2024, 03:49 PM

I found the spiral feathered star in my book Big Book of Scrap Quilts. Blocks are 11 1/2 X 11 1/2”. Thank you for showing your picture. I’ve recently started hand piecing and I think this one would be a good one for that. I’ve cut a sampler block out and will begin piecing to see if my theory is correct.
Old 04-28-2024, 04:20 AM

So sorry to hear about your broken bone! I guess I missed the posting about that happening. And then add itch to pain--oh, my! I hope this isn't the wrist of your dominant hand.
As to reading material. I am not a reader, I'm a crafter and want my hands busy. But I love Amish stories and a few years ago I bugged the local library for anything written by Beverly Lewis. I had to make notes to remember who was related to the other but good stories. Also all of the books by Laura Ingalls Wilder are easy reading and good stories with no cuss words. Like one of my friends commented, some of these books would be half as thick if they'd leave those out! There is one of the Wilder books that tells a lot of how they made what they needed for life at that time and that was interesting.
I enjoy the books with big print. They seem to read faster.
So glad you have a helpful hubby. Bless his heart!
Old 04-28-2024, 02:54 PM

I worked on my practice block and would post a picture but I don’t know how to change the size to be acceptable. It really wasn’t a hard one to hand piece after the first couple of “blades”. But the pieces are kind of small so I will enlarge the pattern a bit. I really enjoyed sewing it so will experiment with it a bit.