Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
block swaps, what do you do with your blocks? >

block swaps, what do you do with your blocks?

block swaps, what do you do with your blocks?

Old 02-23-2011, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Originally Posted by EIQuilter
The only swaps I've been in are those where you select a focus fabric, send a 12-14" square of that fabric to the other quilters in the swap (usually 12 to 16), and they each make a quilt block for you, incorporating your focus fabric. That way you do have blocks that have at least that one fabric in common, and here's an example of what I was able to do with the blocks received in one of those swaps.
I am guessing the clown fish was the focus fabric?

The blocks are just adorable, and your blue was the greatest to go with them! I love this quilt!
Thanks! Yes, the clown fish was the focus fabric. One thing I have found with swaps is that my 12-1/2" unfinished block isn't always the same size as someone else's! Some of these were 11-3/4" and some were 12-3/4", etc. That's why each of the blocks in my quilt has a black border on it - I just added a 1-1/2" border to each side and then squared up the blocks so they all measured 13-1/2".
Old 02-23-2011, 02:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Pamela Artman
I did four block swaps a couple years ago. Each swap only had enough blocks for a small throw size quilt (8 or 10 12" blocks) but for the first 3 swaps, we planned similar patterns and colors that look nice together so we could combine them in one quilt if we wanted. The first swap was scrappy purples, the second was blues and the third was greens. I played with them till they made a nice design and made a big quilt with all of them. I think I had one left over and I put it with my tote bag fabrics to put on the front of a tote. The 4th swap was a jewel tone jewel box block and it would have been a wallhanging probably, but I was moving at the time and everyone in the swap made me an extra block as a house warming gift, so it made a nice big throw size quilt! I bought all the black fabric for the background and mailed it to everyone so the black would match.
wow...those are really nice....
Old 02-23-2011, 02:38 PM
Banned

maybe I should post pix of the blocks and let you guys tell me what to do with them.....you seem to know how to use them!

Two of my siggy swaps are from the Dear Jane group, 1 I actually have NO clue where they came from, one is from back during the Y2K days and they are all from Germany, Holland and the Netherlands...I have something in mind for those already.

Then I did a birthday swap...wow...100 people played in that back in like 2008/9! So I have 100 6" blocks to do something with!

Crazy the things we will get our selves into!
Old 02-24-2011, 03:16 AM

Quilt teacher Sharyn Craig (http://www.sharyncraig.com/) addresses just this problem--what to do with blocks from swaps that maybe don't match in color or the sizes are a bit different, etc. She has a book (Setting Solutions) that talks about creative sashing to make these blocks work together. I went to see her at a guild meeting a couple of years ago--and she was just amazing!
Her book would be worth getting or see if your local library has a copy to check out--especially if you have lots and lots of "orphan blocks"...
Old 02-24-2011, 04:46 AM

I haven't done as many swaps as the rest of you, but after doing a few I decided that mostly they would take a back seat to my own projects and stopped signing up before I accumulated too large a pile. I do have a box of friendship stars from a year long swap, but I wold make some extras for myself every month so I have enough for a respectable size top if I ever get it together.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by nellebelles
Quilt teacher Sharyn Craig (http://www.sharyncraig.com/) addresses just this problem--what to do with blocks from swaps that maybe don't match in color or the sizes are a bit different, etc. She has a book (Setting Solutions) that talks about creative sashing to make these blocks work together. I went to see her at a guild meeting a couple of years ago--and she was just amazing!
Her book would be worth getting or see if your local library has a copy to check out--especially if you have lots and lots of "orphan blocks"...
I took her class once..and I have that book! It can be pretty complicated....