Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Blocks don't match on Pineapple quilt >

Blocks don't match on Pineapple quilt

Blocks don't match on Pineapple quilt

Old 02-22-2021, 04:41 PM

Well, that makes sense.

I think that the closer hubby gets to retirement and Social Security, the more "conservationist" I get when it comes to fabric.

Old 02-23-2021, 05:03 AM

Can you put a narrow sashing between the blocks?
Old 02-23-2021, 06:59 AM

I have 29 blocks finished as of this morning for my Pineapple Quilt using my Accuquilt system. I know that some of my blocks are going to be off even though they all measure a nice 10 1/2". I will be making it a bit larger I want it to be 42 blocks so it will be 60x70 at least plus a border. I want a full size quilt. So I have a ways to go. I don't expect it to be perfect because of the nature of the beast and this thread just affirms what I thought. Just a smidgen off.
Old 02-23-2021, 11:24 AM

I like the idea of a sashing between each block. Will make your quilt a bit bigger, will make each block stand out and cheer.
Old 02-23-2021, 12:10 PM

Jordan, i have not made that block and I am sorry you are having bad time with it . I guess I will not buy that one from Accuquilt.
Old 02-23-2021, 12:46 PM

I made a pineapple quilt with the creative grid ruler. It’s been awhile. Seems like it was 36 blocks. 6 down and 6 over. It’s a good sized quilt so the blocks were probably 12”. I would trim the bigger blocks and add a strip if it’s too small. That’s kind of how I quilt. You would have to look really close on the finished quilt to see any mistakes.
Old 02-24-2021, 03:30 PM

Default Strip Apple Pineapple by Cozy Quilt Designs

https://jordanfabrics.com/collection...gital-download

My daughter is a new quilter and has picked this pattern for us to make together. I’ve never done a pineapple quilt because the waste bothers me, but this one uses big pieces so the cut offs are big enough to do something with. Donna Jordan made 3 throw pillows with her cut offs. And the sashing means no matching points.👍🏻
Old 03-04-2021, 01:24 PM

I have only made 1 pineapple quilt, using the free pattern from Quilt in a Day, and it turned out wonderfully! QIAD free Pinapple Quilt Pattern
Old 03-05-2021, 02:20 PM

Jordan, if you spray the blocks and steam the beejeebers out of them, can you make them uniform? And get your points where you need them to be with rigourous pinning before sewing?

My first quilting teacher found this same issue with log cabin quilts...she was very meticulous, but no matter how carefully she cut and sewed they were always just that little bit off and in blocks like these with may pieces, tiny shifts add up to big issues. She went to paper piecing her log cabins as a result, and I think that is the best way to tackle pineapple blocks as well.
Old 03-06-2021, 05:17 AM

I loved the Creative Grid pineapple tool and the quilt I made with it. Since the blocks are squared up with the ruler after every round (I am a notorupiously inaccurate seamer) I can’t quite picture how that happened with the points not matching.