Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Blue Denim Quilt >

Blue Denim Quilt

Blue Denim Quilt

Old 10-01-2014, 06:29 AM

we make 4 jean quilts a year to donate to our church and fire department raffle. I cut 8 1/2 squares. It is 8 x10 squares. My husband built a quilt frame with 3 rollers on it. We put batting it, flannel on the back and tie it with pearl cotton. Husband also does the pining because he thinks I'm to slow. I also take all the thread out of the pockets and replace the thread to match the flannel color. I use a stretch stitch sewn 4 times so it shows up. We take one block to the embroidery shop that will say Buenie Fall Prime Rib 2014, Holy Cross North Buena Vista Fire Department 2014, Buenie Picnic 2014. People also give me jeans when they find out we donate.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Some people like the weight of a heavy quilt.

When I was growing up, I slept under a pile of blankets in the winter - it was cold upstairs!
I love heavy quilts and blankets.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:29 AM

I made a denim/flannel backed with W&N batting rag quilt for my daughter a few years back. They live in New Hampshire and love how heavy and warm it is. I didn't love the blisters from trying to cut through the layers of fabric. That was the only draw back to the layers.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:43 AM

I have made jean quilts for all my sons and grandsons, they love them, jeans and flannel. The oldest grand son took his to Afghanistan with him last year , a piece of home with him he said plus warm on the cold winter nights there.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:11 AM

I have made many denim quilts from different size squares and use a light polyester batting. Of course here we get cold winters and the batting feels good . I usually back them with flannel.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:11 AM

made one for my granddaughter, her mother used it to cover a head board. Had I known what she was going to do with it, I never would have made it. I would have used the flannel backing for charity quilts
Old 10-02-2014, 07:37 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Janice Thompson View Post
made one for my granddaughter, her mother used it to cover a head board. Had I known what she was going to do with it, I never would have made it. I would have used the flannel backing for charity quilts

Apparently Mom liked it well enough to look at it every day!
Old 10-02-2014, 07:40 AM
Power Poster

I made some denim/flannel rag quilts - but I used the heavy denim and chamois type flannel for them - I cut 5-inch squares - I thought that was dense enough.

Denim comes in a lot of weights - I did start to baste all the squares cut from one pair of jeans together ("bundled" them) so that when I laid the squares out I could find "matches" easily. (I know - just a touch of obsessive-compulsive showing there)
Old 10-02-2014, 07:42 AM

I've made 3 of the cathedral window lap size quilts -- need to make 4 more -- one for each grandchild. They all want the ones I've got!
Old 10-02-2014, 07:55 AM

I made a denim quilt for my son when he was 12. Used all of his worn jeans as well. I just made squares and added a sashing. (I was fairly new to quilting at that time.) I used an old blanket as batting and then a dark sheet for backing. It was a bit heavy but he absolutely loved it. He had it until he was 27 when his large dog decided he wanted the pillow underneath and went through the quilt instead of under it. The hole was as big as the pillow. After mending it several times he finally decided it was no longer worth keeping. If the hole hadn't been so big and almost in the middle I would have cut it down and saved what I could. I am thinking of making another blue jean quilt for him--he's 35 now and quite a bit more responsible. Good luck with yours!