Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Blue Denim Quilt >

Blue Denim Quilt

Blue Denim Quilt

Old 10-02-2014, 09:29 AM
PBS

I've made seven jean quilts for my seven grandchildren. I used a light weight flannel for batting and a cotton backing. I "tied" the corners of each block. My blocks were 10" and I put a sashing and binding on them to make them look "finished". The grandchildren like them but wow, were they heavy to work with! I used a heavy needle and denim thread. The mothers also like them because I used all the little denim jeans the children had when they were growing up! Really a different "remembrance quilt"!
Old 10-02-2014, 09:54 AM
Suz

I plan to use denim patches w/inspiration messages via embroidery module and girly flannel alternates for my granddaughter who heads off to college next fall. Girly flannel on the back w/o batting. I have a large collection of these messages which I put on every quilt label. My DH is selecting the messages for the top. I plan to tie it.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:16 AM
Power Poster

My SIL has made several blue jeans quilts, including 3 made for my SIL Margaret's 3 kids out of my brother's denims after he passed away. She only used the blue jean squares, flannel for the backing and tied them. I can attest that while they are a tad heavy, they are definitely warm; however, the quilt reminded me of the heavy quilts we slept in as kids to keep us warm in the winter in a drafty old farm house.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:07 AM

When I made a denim rag quilt for my grandson years ago, I didn't put batting in it. The denim and the fabric on the back made it warm enough. My grandson uses it as a comforter on his twin bed.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:28 PM

I have made, sold, & given way several denim quilts. I use fleece for the backing & no batting. They are very warm but not overly heavy. Everyone loves them.