Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Blue Markings on old quilt top >

Blue Markings on old quilt top

Blue Markings on old quilt top

Old 10-18-2017, 01:19 PM

Default Blue Markings on old quilt top

I recently inherited a quilt top that was appliqued sometime in the 70s or 80s by my mother-in-law. This was from a kit and has blue markings showing where to place applique and also to show where to hand quilt. All of the applique is completed but it needs to be quilted. Is there anyway to get those blue dots and dashes out of the fabric so that I can have it quilted by a longarmer?
Old 10-18-2017, 01:27 PM

Have you tried dabbing the blue marks with plain water? Next I would try soaking a corner of the quilt to see if "lots" of water will take out the blue.

If that doesn't work, it gets a little tricky. But don't give up......Just try the water first.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:12 PM

Sometimes those come out and sometimes they don't. Not sure why. I'm guessing if the dots have been exposed to heat they will be hard to get out, but some people claim they couldn't get them out in the 40's when the tops were new and just finished. Good luck.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:14 PM
Power Poster

as far as I know, they are supposed to wash out. I did that with pre-printed blocks before quilting them. marks disappeared as they should but i then had blank fabric. learned the hard way.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:29 PM

They are supposed to wash out. I used to do a lot of embroidery back in the day and they were often marked that way. I remember having a hard time getting some of them out. Good luck!
Old 10-19-2017, 04:22 AM

I have done several embroidered quilts from kits and never had any luck getting blue markings out. Why not have it hand quilted or ask the long armer to follow the quilting design? After all it is part of the whole design of the quilt.

When I made mine, I hand quilted and did my best to have the quilt stitches cover the blue marks.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:25 AM
Power Poster

Anything you use to try to remove the blue dots may also cause the appliqués to bleed if the fabrics used are not colour fast. I would have the long armer follow the markings if possible with coloured thread.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:39 AM

Thanks, everyone. I am concerned that time and heat may have set the marks permanently. And that the applique might bleed if I soak it in water. Good idea to have the longarmer follow the marks.
Old 10-20-2017, 02:49 AM

I think you will be pleased to have this quilted in the way the manufacturer intended. Most of those quilting marks complimented the design and are beautiful when done that way. Too, if there is any chance that the marks don't go away, they will be somewhat covered by the stitches. That's the way I'd go--whether hand or machine quilting. You have a lot of work doing the applique, don't "ruin" it.
Old 10-20-2017, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by illinois View Post
I think you will be pleased to have this quilted in the way the manufacturer intended. Most of those quilting marks complimented the design and are beautiful when done that way. Too, if there is any chance that the marks don't go away, they will be somewhat covered by the stitches. That's the way I'd go--whether hand or machine quilting. You have a lot of work doing the applique, don't "ruin" it.
Amen - I shudder at the thought of all that hand work with meandering going all over it.