Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! My FIRST hand pieced quilt tip is stained from the markings >

Help! My FIRST hand pieced quilt tip is stained from the markings

Help! My FIRST hand pieced quilt tip is stained from the markings

Old 01-30-2012, 05:57 PM
Banned

Default Help! My FIRST hand pieced quilt tip is stained from the markings

Hi,

Please help. I just finished marking my quilt with a sew line pencil with green lead (on a white background.) when I tried to erase the markings, they wouldn't come off. Then I used cold water, and now I have gray stains in places, and left over green lines in other spots. This is my first time trying to quilt a top. What have I done wrong and how do I if it?
Old 01-30-2012, 06:30 PM

I use the green pencil all the time but I don't try to remove the marks until I sandwich and bind my quilt, then I just throw it in the washer and the marks come out. Are you trying to get them out before you finish the quilt? I know that that eraser never worked for me.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:49 PM
Power Poster

I have never used that kind of pencil so I would follow virtualbernie's advice since she has experience with that pencil. For other pencil markings, it is sometimes helpful if you have a piece of the same background fabric, to mark a scrap and then try different things to remove the markings. Hopefully your marks will come out when you wash the whole quilt like advised. Good luck.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:02 PM

Did you heat them at all? That could make them permanent. I've used this pencil as well (the pink) and did have to wash the finished quilt several times to remove all remmnants of the markings. I only used cold water the first time, then washed a couple of times with detergent & oxy-clean. I think it was a total of 3 washings before all the marks came clean. Be sure all marks are gone before drying in the dryer. For me the blue pens that are removed by water seem to work the best, but sometimes even those have to be washed more than once.