Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bobbin case on Janome problem >

Bobbin case on Janome problem

Bobbin case on Janome problem

Old 04-20-2021, 06:32 AM

Yes!! Some threads are very linty and it seems that they react different for some of us. Here in moist Seattle I have different issues than my friend in Phoenix. Like, when it is really humid outside are the days I'm most likely to have to change my thread tension from what it was the day before.

Typically I scrap piece and will use two different colored threads, say camel and slate for top and bottom because both of those blend and (with my vision issues) it really helps me see the stitches/problem easier.

Short form: sometimes it helps to know which lint is collecting in the bobbin case. From your information, it may indeed be the entire bobbin casing and that is a pretty simple switch out once they have one in stock.

I've been quilting for quite awhile now and for my first couple of decades, I used Coats & Clark Dual Duty for piecing, top/bottom thread and for quilting as well and had no problems. About 10 years ago I had access to a friend's long arm and first started using different threads top and bottom. Her machine could not wind a decent bobbin so we started buying prewound, our lives got so much better. I found the Coats and Clark "Machine Cotton Quilting" thread to be terribly linty and you start understanding and appreciating things about "Egyptian long fiber".

A couple of years ago a friend gave me her modern Bernina she replaced with the warning that it was picky about threads but seemed to like Aurifil, so that's mostly what I've been using. For the past year I've been running sort of a test using Superior So Fine as my bobbin thread for piecing (previously used on the long arm for quilting) and all in all, I'm pretty happy with the results from ease of work, to stitch quality to lint production.
Old 04-20-2021, 08:48 AM

I assume the difference is the cotton vs the poly of the coats and clark. My last quilting as one that didn't come together well, but I quilted it for more practice, and to see how the dream black poly batting worked. Hated it!! The lint from that was pretty crazy. I normally use the quilters dream 100% cotton and it's normally ok. But with switching to the cotton thread, it's noticeably worse, but the stitches seem much better, especially on the bobbin side.

As for the bobbin case, is that website (sewing parts online) ok to use? I see some bad reviews about them, and some say the will report bad reviews to get them deleted. And that when you click on genuine parts they tend to ship the knock-offs instead. I would just order it from my repair guy, but he's 45+mins away each way, and with my health, I don't travel well.
Old 04-20-2021, 08:52 AM

Your local guy might be very happy to send the parts to you, around here many more "traditional" mom and pops have adapted to "mail it to sell it". Sometimes it is cheaper (they have access to sites), sometimes it is more expensive to deal with an intermediary but they have a better idea of whether it was a genuine part or not.

Old 04-20-2021, 08:56 AM

yeah maybe I'll email them about it. They're kind of weird about online stuff, so we'll see, they're much better in person. I'd much rather give them the business.
Old 04-23-2021, 08:47 AM

Well still no word from the repair guy (who just doesn't like using email I think) so if I don't hear anything by next week (the store hours are mostly weekends only, he does the repair work and has another job during the week) I'm just going to order it online.

Is that sewingpartsonline place ok to use?? I see bad reviews which makes me nervous, especially those that say they ordered genuine parts and got knock-offs. Anyone else use them?
Old 04-23-2021, 08:49 AM

I have not used them in years -- too long ago to count, but it is where I used to get things (like bobbin cases!) when I was reconditioning vintage sewing machines for a charity outreach program.

Was always easy to work with, prompt, and prices better than anything I could get local, even when counting in postage and wait time.
Old 04-23-2021, 08:59 AM

One thought that went through my head is the actual tension of the bobbin thread as it's being wound on the bobbin. If the tension isn't even as it's being wound or if it's being wound wonky, it could catch and tug at the bobbin case. I had this happen on a Singer machine with a drop in bobbin case.
Old 04-23-2021, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by gardengirl1331 View Post
Well still no word from the repair guy (who just doesn't like using email I think) so if I don't hear anything by next week (the store hours are mostly weekends only, he does the repair work and has another job during the week) I'm just going to order it online.

Is that sewingpartsonline place ok to use?? I see bad reviews which makes me nervous, especially those that say they ordered genuine parts and got knock-offs. Anyone else use them?
I would not order from them if reviewers are talking about knock-offs.
You could check kenssewingcenter.com. They were recommended on the
Yahoo Janome forum.
Old 04-23-2021, 11:03 AM
mkc

Originally Posted by gardengirl1331 View Post

My work surface is my dinning room table, it is stable when going slow, and moves a bit when I hit one speed, but when I go a tiny tiny bit faster it stops the movement, it's weird, it's only one speed it does this with!
Not weird at all. At that one speed, the frequency of the machine stitching is matching a harmonic frequency of the table and it's basically a motion that's being amplified by the table top. It's physics.
Old 04-24-2021, 12:46 AM

gardengirl: If you are unsure of sewingpartsonline, you can order from Amazon. Kens Sewing Center sells through amazon which is where my new bobbin case came from. It is not 2 day shipping but is free shipping. When shopping on Amazon for the bobbin case you need, just look over to the right side of the screen under the "add to cart" button and it will show who the seller is. I try to buy from either Amazon as seller or some company I know and can verify as an actual US company to avoid those items that end up coming on a "slow boat from china". Look at the date of delivery too and that will clue you in on how long you may have to wait for the item.
I personally have never ordered from sewingpartsonline, so can not vouch for them. Have ordered from Kens sewing center through amazon and directly from their website and never had a problem.