Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bobbin measurement >

Bobbin measurement

Bobbin measurement

Old 10-15-2011, 03:04 PM

Thank you ladies for taking the time i will make it as simple as possible. Have a great night :)
Old 10-15-2011, 05:44 PM

Your block is square. The triangles give the illusion of making it appear rectangular.

So, for a 12" block you would cut the squares 4.5". Cut the Half Square Triangle blocks at 5" and trim down. Each 5" square should give you 2 Half Square Triangle blocks. You'll need 2 pairs (4 total) for each Spool. Draw a diagonal line on the back of each "light" 5" square. Place each light with a dark 5" square right sides together. Sew a scant 1/4" away on both sides of the line you drew. Cut on the line & gently press out the blocks. Trim to 4.5".
Old 10-15-2011, 08:47 PM

Oh BKrenning where were you last few hours??LOL I locked myself in my sewing room this morning and made a couple samples with my stash and decided on the 12" block looks good so now i can relax knowing what i have to do this will alter the overall size it's ok i will work in the sash later. Thank you very much for your instruction i really appreciate your help. Have a great day :)

Originally Posted by BKrenning
Your block is square. The triangles give the illusion of making it appear rectangular.

So, for a 12" block you would cut the squares 4.5". Cut the Half Square Triangle blocks at 5" and trim down. Each 5" square should give you 2 Half Square Triangle blocks. You'll need 2 pairs (4 total) for each Spool. Draw a diagonal line on the back of each "light" 5" square. Place each light with a dark 5" square right sides together. Sew a scant 1/4" away on both sides of the line you drew. Cut on the line & gently press out the blocks. Trim to 4.5".
:) :)
Old 10-16-2011, 06:14 AM

I don't think it will alter the size, at least it won't according to the layout picture you posted. The only issue I see is if your blocks were supposed to be 9" instead of 12 but that's not a problem either because you can just cut down everything (if you haven't sewn the patches into blocks yet.)

Your sashing looks to be 3" if the blocks are 12"--2" if they are 9" blocks. The sashing will be easier than the Half Square Triangles.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:19 PM

Hi, I am making the blocks at 12" at the moment one mistake i made was to cut the sashing first but i cannot undo what i have done so i will keep making the blocks and then work on the sashing:) I may have to trim the blocks a little i will post soon as i can. Thank you for taking the time to explain i really appreciate your effort. Have a good day :)

Originally Posted by BKrenning
I don't think it will alter the size, at least it won't according to the layout picture you posted. The only issue I see is if your blocks were supposed to be 9" instead of 12 but that's not a problem either because you can just cut down everything (if you haven't sewn the patches into blocks yet.)

Your sashing looks to be 3" if the blocks are 12"--2" if they are 9" blocks. The sashing will be easier than the Half Square Triangles.