Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Bobbin problem

Blog Entries

Bobbin problem

I just started sewing some nine patches to a plain square. I sew 2-4 squares then my top thread wraps around my bobbin thread a couple times then jams. I'm using white thread in the top and a colored thread in the bobbin, so I know it's the top thread. I've re-threaded several times, cleaned bobbin area a lot and changed my needle. Any ideas.
    True4uca

What machine? Clean the tension disks if you can access them. Is the needle threaded in the right direction. I have three machines in my family room. One threads from the left, one from the right and one from center. They will not sew if the needle is not threaded the correct direction.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishrose2 View Post
    What machine? Clean the tension disks if you can access them. Is the needle threaded in the right direction. I have three machines in my family room. One threads from the left, one from the right and one from center. They will not sew if the needle is not threaded the correct direction.
    It's the Juki 600. The top thread loops around the bobbin, knots then breaks. I know the needle is in right as the needle threader works, it wouldn't if the needle was in wrong. Later I'll have DH take the case off to see if anything is amiss.
    True4uca

You mentioned three machines. Do you have the correct bobbin in the machine? Is the bobbin wound tight?

Try a different bobbin.

Is the thread catching on the spool stand? Watch as the top thread un-winds that it is smooth.

You have done most all the troubleshooting that correct sewing issues. Good luck!

I agree with Rhonda K, I had similar problems and it took me a long time (I'm not the brightest lamp in the room) to try a different bobbin. The next bobbin worked fine. Took a good look at the other bobbin and realized that the threads were loose. What??? Don't know how that happened but the tight thread bobbin worked just fine.

Blog Entries
    also be sure your machine doesn't need cleaning.

You say your thread is two different colors. Are they also different weights? That can for sure make problems.

Blog Entries
    They are the same brand & weight. Wanted to use up the last little bit of the yellow cone so filled up a few bobbins.
    Quote Originally Posted by jokir44 View Post
    You say your thread is two different colors. Are they also different weights? That can for sure make problems.
    True4uca

Blog Entries

Might be fixed

Held my breath and tightened the tension screw on the bobbin casing ( a tad). Sewed a whole strip no breakage. Sure hope this is the answer, I'm so not into messing with bobbin tension.
    True4uca

Take the bobbin out and see if it has thread dangling from it. Cut that off if it does.

Also, check to see if your plastic bobbin is rough around the edges. Throw it away if it is, and use another bobbin.

The plastic bobbin basket can become damaged. Pull it out and see if it has burrs or punctures. Gently polish them down with a very fine sandpaper (about 400 to 500 grit).
    Annette in Utah

Is your thread coming out of the take up lever? That can cause same issue. If so, thread take up lever from opposite side....sounds weird, but it works.

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Irishrose2;8059262]What machine? Clean the tension disks if you can access them. Is the needle threaded in the right direction. I have three machines in my family room. One threads from the left, one from the right and one from center. They will not sew if the needle is not threaded the correct direction.[/QUOTE

That must be confusing if you're not concentrating. All my machines are Janomes so all thread exactly the same.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by true4uca View Post
    Held my breath and tightened the tension screw on the bobbin casing ( a tad). Sewed a whole strip no breakage. Sure hope this is the answer, I'm so not into messing with bobbin tension.
    When adjusting any tension only do a 1/4 turn at a time. Helps if you need to go back.

Did you get the bobbin issues fixed? Are you stitching again? I'm with you and don't like changing tension settings either.

Blog Entries
    Yes. Had to rip out one and it's no longer really easy, so that's good. Doing small (less than a tad) screw turns is the way to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda K View Post
    Did you get the bobbin issues fixed? Are you stitching again? I'm with you and don't like changing tension settings either.
    True4uca

I know what you mean about holding your breath when changing the bobbin case tension. All my life I have heard not to mess with that screw until all other avenues had been exhausted. Only once have I had to do it on a new machine and like you just a dab at a time. I was always afraid it would be like opening the gates of Hell but it worked.

Glad to hear you figured out an answer to your problem.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

Quote Originally Posted by jokir44 View Post
    I know what you mean about holding your breath when changing the bobbin case tension. All my life I have heard not to mess with that screw until all other avenues had been exhausted. Only once have I had to do it on a new machine and like you just a dab at a time. I was always afraid it would be like opening the gates of Hell but it worked.
    This was me too. Did NOT want to mess with bobbin tension. ever.
    But then, I decided I wanted to try 'bobbin work'. So I bought a second bobbin case. I put a pink stripe on it with fingernail polish, so I wouldn't mix them up.
    Now I can use all kinds of decorative threads (different weights, different fibers, metalics, even yarns) & change the bobbin tension without fear.
    My original bobbin case never gets adjusted. It is still factory set. (but I put a dot on it too, just in case I ever do have to adjust it). No more fear...yay!