Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
bobbin >

bobbin

bobbin

Old 06-19-2011, 06:26 PM

I would try to locate the ones specified for your machine. You may be able to find them on line. It may be expensive intially, but it the long run would probably be cheaper. Hope you can find them at a good price.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:41 AM

I would use what your manual or DVD is telling you to. The expense to fix your machine would not be worth trying other bobbins. A good rule is if the machine comes with plastic bobbins, use only plastic bobbins and the size they recommend. Vikings usually have there own special bobbins. I have 2 vikings and the bobbins are not interchangeable. Many times the feet for the vikings don't work on other vikings either.
I also have a Brother machine and it takes its own # bobbin also.

Suzy
Old 07-07-2011, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by gale
I just use the bobbins that are made for the machine.
That is what a Bernina dealer told me. If the machine comes with a plastic bobbin - - a metal bobbin will throw the timing and all sorts of other stuff off.
If the machine comes with a metal bobbin, and you try a plastic, your tension will be a nightmare.
Makes sense to me! <wave>
Old 07-08-2011, 12:40 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by omak
Originally Posted by gale
I just use the bobbins that are made for the machine.
That is what a Bernina dealer told me. If the machine comes with a plastic bobbin - - a metal bobbin will throw the timing and all sorts of other stuff off.
If the machine comes with a metal bobbin, and you try a plastic, your tension will be a nightmare.
Makes sense to me! <wave>
I've used both metal and plastic bobbins in my Pfaff (mid 1980's model) and my old (1962) Bernina and my Singer 237s (early 1960s?).

I can't tell that the machines can tell the difference.

But those are all OLDER machines and may not be that finicky???

And horror of horrors - I used the cotton covererd polyester Coats & Clark threads in them. And they sewed a very nice seam and the quilts are still holding up nicely.