Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
bobbin winder.  Is it worth it? >

bobbin winder. Is it worth it?

bobbin winder. Is it worth it?

Old 12-31-2011, 08:26 AM

I had the same problem with mine. I thought it was the operator, but was unable to resolve the problem. Thanks for the tip on the easy winder. I'll check into it.

Originally Posted by mcwillia View Post
if you want the absolute best bobbin winder (and made in the USA) check out http://theeasywinder.com/
I have the Sidewinder deluxe and the standard result is uneven, not tightly wound, and unusable. My quilting machine came with a professional winder but bobbins for regular sewing machines don't fit. The Easy Winder gives the same result as the professional winder. It does require a thread stand or you can buy the Universal Stand with the Easy Winder. Check out the videos on the site. The gentleman who handcrafts the winder has a great sense of humor. He shipped the day I ordered and the winder arrived in 2 days (from FL to WA)
Marilyn
Old 12-31-2011, 08:32 AM

My very favorite toy. As they say "Would'nt take a farm in George for it."
Old 12-31-2011, 08:49 AM

Thanks for the link. After watching the little video I ordered one for myself. I don't like the way my Bernina 185 winds the bobbins. They are never really full and they run out so fast. I always love playing with new gadgets and this one will even be made in America.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:50 AM

I love mine--don't know how I lived without it!
Old 12-31-2011, 09:08 AM

My girlfriend gave me one last year for my birthday and I love it. It winds all my Janome bobbins perfectly.
I would look for one you can use a coupon for. Maybe Hobby Lobby or JoAnn's.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:15 AM

I have all Brother machines. I looked into the bobbin winders and decided to spend a little more. The winders cost $35 at JoAnn's. Another Brother costs $70 - $85 at WalMart. I bought another Brother. That gives me a machine to use for winding bobbins AND a machine to take to classes, sew-ins, etc.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:27 AM

I went through about 3 sidewinders, they kept breaking---not worth it at all. I needed a bobbin winder for one of my embroidery machines. I purchased one from Brother, yes I paid a bit for it, but after those cheap sidewinders, this is worth every penny I purchased it for. I now use it for all of my bobbin winding, that way I don't have to rethread my machine. I just choose a color close to the one I am using and get going.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by lenette View Post
I don't have to unthread my viking to fill the bobbin. The sidewinders I've seen didn't work with Vikings anyway. Maybe they were the original.
My bobbin winder is a stand alone 'thingy'. It's not very heavy and sometimes, when the cover is open (as it is to use it), the thing will topple over. I have to prop the back with something heavy to steady it. I wind 10-12 bobbins at one time as I almost always use an off-white/gray bobbin so that I have enough for any given project. I store them and mark my bobbin box where the 50 wt bobbins and 60 wt bobbins are so I pick the weight I want for my project. My Elna does not like to wind bobbins - or at least not more than one at a time - so the stand alone, plug into the wall is great for me.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by mcwillia View Post
if you want the absolute best bobbin winder (and made in the USA) check out http://theeasywinder.com/
I have the Sidewinder deluxe and the standard result is uneven, not tightly wound, and unusable. My quilting machine came with a professional winder but bobbins for regular sewing machines don't fit. The Easy Winder gives the same result as the professional winder. It does require a thread stand or you can buy the Universal Stand with the Easy Winder. Check out the videos on the site. The gentleman who handcrafts the winder has a great sense of humor. He shipped the day I ordered and the winder arrived in 2 days (from FL to WA)
Marilyn
I just bought a sidewinder and havn't used it, I think I will see if walmart will take it back and order one of these. I like to buy made in the USA every chance I get.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:49 AM

I have one, but I didn't take into account that I have many things plugged in by my machine to the outlet. Then there is the fact that it is really cluttered also. I don't have room for mine and my winders work fine on my machines.

If you want to buy mine cheap just let me know. I have it listed on Craigslist, but no offers from Rockford, IL. http://rockford.craigslist.org/art/2699198268.html