Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bobbin work? >

Bobbin work?

Bobbin work?

Old 08-26-2016, 01:16 PM
Power Poster

I've also seen it done the Ricky Timm's way. He marks the design on his "stable stuff" interfacing and pins that to the back side of the quilt top (before the quilt is sandwiched). Then he uses the thick thread in the bobbin while following the design lines on the top. The stable stuff stays in the quilt. Now, when he sandwiches the quilt, he can add regular quilting to secure the layers while the thick thread features the fancy design.
Old 08-26-2016, 01:49 PM

I have done bobbin work using Madiera Decor (rayon) in the bobbin and regular sewing thread in the needle, with denim fabric face down.

I used a second bobbin case and turned the tiny set screw back about 1/10 of a turn to allow looser tension for the thick thread. This is a one-time adjustment. I tested to get the set screw just right. It was also possible to bypass the tension in the regular bobbin case and pass the thick thread directly through a hole in the case. (These adjustments were suggested by the dealer during demonstrations.) I used decorative stitches with this bobbin work on a denim jacket.

I also used Candlelight metallic thread in the bobbin with faille fabric face down for an evening bag. It gave the appearance of tiny beading. I also turned the fabric face up and used a fine metallic gold thread for additional decorative stitching ... and hand stitched accent beads.

The three machines I use most frequently now have drop in bobbins. I don't know if bobbin work can be done with them. I would just go back to my old machine with the extra bobbin case for bobbin work.
Old 08-27-2016, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by kwiltkrazy View Post
I like to couch better, I can never seem to get the tension right.
I prefer to couch also. I seem to get the same effect with a lot less work. My Bernina has a couching foot that makes couching really easy.
Old 08-29-2016, 04:21 PM

Just in case anyone is interested, I just got my Threads magazine for November 2016 (no idea why I'm getting the November magazine in August) and it has an extensive article on bobbin work. I haven't read it yet, but it looks really good.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
Just in case anyone is interested, I just got my Threads magazine for November 2016 (no idea why I'm getting the November magazine in August) and it has an extensive article on bobbin work. I haven't read it yet, but it looks really good.
Guess this is why I haven't seen it on the newstands yet. Thanks for the heads-up. I should have realized... it's been one of those kinds of weeks.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:47 AM
Power Poster

Perhaps a couching would work better for a long arm machine. You use a couching or ribbon/beading foot and feed the yard or ribbon through the opening and do a zig zag to attach it on the top.

I just went back and read the thread. I guess we all had the same idea. LOL!

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 08-30-2016 at 09:50 AM.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:08 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222 View Post
Perhaps a couching would work better for a long arm machine. You use a couching or ribbon/beading foot and feed the yard or ribbon through the opening and do a zig zag to attach it on the top.

I just went back and read the thread. I guess we all had the same idea. LOL!
LA only do straight stitch. That said, HQ does have a "couching" foot that is designed for doing this work but the operator has to go over the heavy thread/ribbon/yarn with a straight stitch and invisible thread. The foot and maintaining the feed of the yarn through the foot helps to keep those straight stitches on the decorative yarn/thread/ribbon

Innova does have a couching adaptor but it is VERY expensive (like thousands) and it somehow manipulates the stitch to do a true couch (zig zag) so those of us not willing to spend the $$ for the very expensive adaptor must resort to hand couching or bobbin work.

I don't know what the other manufacturers offer and bobbin work is somewhat universal to all machines, no special feet or expensive adaptors required.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 08-30-2016 at 12:10 PM.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:46 PM

I found an older post in the archives of Thread magazine about bobbin work, and am really fascinated now.

I've come to the conclusion that I had better try it on my DSM first (with the "Specialty Bobbin Case" for my machine) and see how I like it before I try to progress to the longarm.