Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bobbins & thread >

Bobbins & thread

Bobbins & thread

Old 03-09-2019, 07:56 PM

True confessions: When I got here, I had only used Necchi's for so long, I thought all sewing machines used Class 15 bobbins. I got a Singer and those skinny little bobbins blew my mind. Then I got a 301, and had to buy another kind and OMG I thought, they're just never going to stop!!! I have a labelmaker and for any of the "weird" machines, I put a little sticker that says something like 66, cw,flat r, l to r which stands for a class 66 bobbin, that has the thread coming off to the right (clockwise) when you put it in the bobbin case, and the needle goes in with the flat side to the right, and threads from left to right. (I made this up, not sure if it's how one of them works or not, so don't try to search your memory banks trying to figure out which machine it's for, lol.) It's just too hard to remember. I also put the same info on the front of the manual so I don't have to look it up. I printed them from the manualslib.com website, and bound them with a clear front cover. 'Cause I can, lol.
Old 03-10-2019, 03:12 AM
Power Poster

Not universal related but may be worth including in the discussion. I was talked into buying pre-wound bobbins by an instructor and for sure, they did not fit my machines. They sat for a few years before I came up with the brilliant idea to re-wind them onto my own bobbins. Am I not brilliant, lol.

Personally, IMHO, I would never use pre-wound bobbins again even if they did fit. They just make more garbage for landfills and really, how convenient are they? The few seconds they save in winding really isn't a good trade-off.

peace
Old 03-10-2019, 06:28 AM

I find it intersting that over the years, there has been some standardization in bobbins and needles. With vintage machines, there is a lot more variation.

For fun, here is a selection of different bobbins, and this does include several that are still in use today. And yes, the wooden spool on the end is the "bobbin" for a National made "2 spool" machine.

Old 03-10-2019, 06:41 AM

Janome machines use the class 15 bobbin. If you are to purchase thread, I highly suggest Superior Masterpiece. This was developed by Alex Anderson exclusively for piecing. It is a 50wt. cotton. I have had great results with it! No affiliation!
Old 03-10-2019, 03:12 PM

When I bought my Janome some bobbins came with it and I have never tried any other brand bobbins. I think those bobbins came with the Janome for a reason.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I find it intersting that over the years, there has been some standardization in bobbins and needles. With vintage machines, there is a lot more variation.

For fun, here is a selection of different bobbins, and this does include several that are still in use today. And yes, the wooden spool on the end is the "bobbin" for a National made "2 spool" machine.

Really Cool!! Thanks for sharing!!!!
Old 03-11-2019, 05:52 AM

Class 15 bobbins come in plastic and metal. In our church sewing room we have found that you cannot use the metal bobbins in a machine designed for the plastic ones. The weight of the metal bobbins messes up the bobbin mechanism. Use the type of bobbin that came with your machine. Using a plastic one in a machine that came with metal does not seem to matter, so the prefilled ones can be used.