Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Body position for hand quilting? >

Body position for hand quilting?

Body position for hand quilting?

Old 10-11-2018, 07:31 PM

OH! Stephanie--make yourself go to your water aerobics class--bring down the activity a notch or two, but the water will definitely help your relax those muscles and work out the kinks. Also, you mentioned pushing to get this done before the baby comes--yours? One part of your OP makes me concerned--you said feet and ankles hurt. I'm worried that you are setting yourself up for blood clots with sitting too much, especially with legs down, and especially if you are pregnant! I've had blood clots in my leg and it was after a quilt retreat--ditto for a friend--so now when we go to retreat,we make everyone stop once an hour and get up and do stretches--please don't sit too long!
Old 10-12-2018, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
OH! Stephanie--make yourself go to your water aerobics class--bring down the activity a notch or two, but the water will definitely help your relax those muscles and work out the kinks. Also, you mentioned pushing to get this done before the baby comes--yours? One part of your OP makes me concerned--you said feet and ankles hurt. I'm worried that you are setting yourself up for blood clots with sitting too much, especially with legs down, and especially if you are pregnant! I've had blood clots in my leg and it was after a quilt retreat--ditto for a friend--so now when we go to retreat,we make everyone stop once an hour and get up and do stretches--please don't sit too long!
This is a grandchild on the way so thankfully not me. But you are right, I do need to remember to get up and move. Ankles and feet are still really bothering me today but the rest of my body feels back to the normal range of aches and pains. Normally I sit with my feet under me or curled up in the chair but with sewing I force myself to sit properly so maybe (hopefully) the ankle/foot pain is just my body not knowing how to react to my feet being on the floor.
Old 10-12-2018, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by StephanieR View Post
This is a grandchild on the way so thankfully not me. But you are right, I do need to remember to get up and move. Ankles and feet are still really bothering me today but the rest of my body feels back to the normal range of aches and pains. Normally I sit with my feet under me or curled up in the chair but with sewing I force myself to sit properly so maybe (hopefully) the ankle/foot pain is just my body not knowing how to react to my feet being on the floor.
well, if the pain is more in the calf and really hurts when you walk--see your doc asap as it's a blood clot!
Old 10-13-2018, 07:09 AM

I had quilt with 2 thimbles. One on the middle finger of my right hand and one on the index finger of the left hand. No sore,pricked fingers.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:58 AM

You might see if you can get a copy of 'Perfect Hand Quilting without Pain' by Liuxin Newman (aka Thimblelady). Her method does not require pricking the finger, and also eliminates finger and wrist stress.

When I hand quilt, I need something to take the weight of the quilt or it causes shoulder problems. If sitting on the couch, I put a chair back in front of me to prop the hoop on, and if quilting at the dining room table, prop the hoop on the table and the quilt falls on chairs on either side. I don't get much quilting done because I just can't sit for very long at one time. The short intervals of standing/sitting with piecing are much better for my back. If I had one wish, it would be that I could sit for hours and do hand work.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:10 AM

Try using a smaller hoop, maybe 14". When you use a bigger frame you are stretching your arm and shoulder. The is what I went to some years back and really helped me. See if you can borrow one from someone to get an idea of the size comfortable for you before you buy. You can comfortably hold the smaller size in your lap with no need to prop on something.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:43 AM

I am a hand quilter. I agree with getting distracted. I quilt in the evenings and when the news is over, I am supposed to head to bed. OFTEN I find myself looking at the clock and it is 2 a.m.
As for sewing...I PURPOSELY keep the cutting table and ironing board in a different room (Besides it won't fit in sewing room). But this forces me to get up and go to the iron. I am not as efficient but it is better for my body and health! This action helps me get more steps in each day.
Old 10-13-2018, 01:58 PM

I can only help with the “pin cushion” fingers. I went to the office supply and for a couple dollars I bought finger cots that are sold for sorting through papers. I can put one on my middle finger on the right to push the needle with, and on the index on the left to use under the quilt. I have recently “discovered” leather thimbles that do the same thing and might last longer, but cheap is good for now. I can get a new one as they wear through. They are three to a pack of all blue for the silicone ones. I haven’t got the leather ones yet.

I have one of these thimbles and they fit my stubby finger well, I just need to pick up another. I looked at the ones with the metal insert, but I have to be able to “feel” the needle so they would not work for me but I bet they would last forever.

https://www.amazon.com/Dritz-3066-Le...ather+thimbles

Last edited by madamekelly; 10-13-2018 at 02:03 PM.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by bunbytes View Post
I had quilt with 2 thimbles. One on the middle finger of my right hand and one on the index finger of the left hand. No sore,pricked fingers.
I do the same. No sore index finger.