Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Machine Bobbin Position >

Sewing Machine Bobbin Position

Sewing Machine Bobbin Position

Old 04-09-2011, 03:22 AM

Does anyone have any tips as to whether a drop in or front load bobbin is better? I had a dealer try to tell me yesterday that a drop in was extremely superior to a front load...but couldn't give me reasons why.

Thanks
Old 04-09-2011, 03:26 AM

I think 30 years ago the drop in was better, but now the machines are far superior. I have both types and can not say if one is better than the other. I prefer the front load when I am machine quilting; you can change the bobbin without moving your work.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:24 AM

As far as sewing goes, I can't tell a difference. Usually, I think the drop in is easier to put back in place, but like Tina said, when you are quilting you can usually get a front load back in without moving your quilt.

I would say buy the machine based on other features you like and don't worry about the bobbin.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:25 AM

Like Tinabodina - front loading is very convenient when you are working on something; but other than that I've never noticed a real difference.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:37 AM

Can't tell you either is better, just that I detest front loading bobbins! Maybe because I have fat fingers and it is difficult to get the front loading bobbin in the case while holding the latch up and into slot. I just make sure I have plenty of bobbin thread in my machine before starting to quilt.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by scowlkat
Can't tell you either is better, just that I detest front loading bobbins! Maybe because I have fat fingers and it is difficult to get the front loading bobbin in the case while holding the latch up and into slot. I just make sure I have plenty of bobbin thread in my machine before starting to quilt.
Here's to fat fingers! :lol: My Husqvarna/Viking has a drop in front loading one, and my older Kenmore has a bobbin case. So as far a which is more convenient, I would have to agree with whom ever said that the type with the case is more convenient because you do not have to completely remove what you are quilting on.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:33 AM

I have fat fingers, too. :)

With my front and side-loading machines, I just tip them back in the cabinets to change the bobbins - as long as I've got to stop, anyway, I may as well swipe around in there with a pipe cleaner to de-lint.

The convenience of changing bobbins with the quilt still in the machine is a pretty big convenience. Pulling the quilt out every 35-40 minutes would be a pain.

I don't mind the drop-in bobbins when I'm piecing or making garments because there are breaks between seams where you're removing the work anyway. :)
Old 04-09-2011, 07:53 AM
Power Poster

Drop ins are cheaper to make so cost could to toward other features of the machine. I don't think drop ins are better for fast speed machines.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:35 AM

It is much, much easier to clean the front load bobbin area than the drop ins. You have to take the stitch plate off the drop ins and some days my fingers just don't want to turn that tiny stubby screwdriver to get the plate off.

It is much easier however, to change drop ins.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:58 PM

I have a front loader and I prefer it. Especially if you are working on a project, you don't have to pull it all off the machine to change bobbins!