Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Machine Bobbin Position >

Sewing Machine Bobbin Position

Sewing Machine Bobbin Position

Old 04-09-2011, 03:06 PM

I guess it just depends on wether you are piecing or quilting.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:11 PM

I borrowed my sisters front load and didn't like it. So, when I purchased a machine I made sure it was a top loader.

Its more convienent checking to see if your bobbin is low on thread. Front loader you have to take it out to check instead of just peeking thru the top.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by BKrenning
It is much, much easier to clean the front load bobbin area than the drop ins. You have to take the stitch plate off the drop ins and some days my fingers just don't want to turn that tiny stubby screwdriver to get the plate off.

It is much easier however, to change drop ins.
My machines are front loaders. I hate the tiny screw drivers. I use a 5 cent (Euro size) coin, about the size of a copper penny. Much easier than trying to wiggle the screw driver into akward positions.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:21 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Bmanmommy
Does anyone have any tips as to whether a drop in or front load bobbin is better? I had a dealer try to tell me yesterday that a drop in was extremely superior to a front load...but couldn't give me reasons why.

Thanks
I think the dealer just wanted to sell a machine.

I prefer the front load, for the reason already given - easier to change when you're in the middle of a quilt. But I have used machines with drop-in and never had to use a screw driver to take it out, so I don't understand those comments. Perhaps other machines require a tool to remove the cover???
Old 04-09-2011, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by dunster
Does anyone have any tips as to whether a drop in or front load bobbin is better? I had a dealer try to tell me yesterday that a drop in was extremely superior to a front load...but couldn't give me reasons why.

Thanks

I prefer the front load, for the reason already given - easier to change when you're in the middle of a quilt. But I have used machines with drop-in and never had to use a screw driver to take it out, so I don't understand those comments. Perhaps other machines require a tool to remove the cover???
I think they were talking about the "throat plate" under the needle, or it could be different than our machines.

I also prefer the front loading bobbin, as I found the drop in bobbin, if thread not wrapped on properly will come off just about the time I'm just getting going, but that is a problem with the Operator "Me"! not the machine.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:33 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by d.rickman
Originally Posted by dunster

Thanks

I think they were talking about the "throat plate" under the needle, or it could be different than our machines.

I also prefer the front loading bobbin, as I found the drop in bobbin, if thread not wrapped on properly will come off just about the time I'm just getting going, but that is a problem with the Operator "Me"! not the machine.
I think they mean the throat plate also, but all the ones I can remember (even on vintage machines), just slid open no tool required.