Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bohemian Quilt >

Bohemian Quilt

Bohemian Quilt

Old 02-19-2017, 01:55 PM

My friend Kim's style is definitely what I'd consider Bohemian. She uses all different fabrics mixed together. She has a blog called Persimon Dreams that you could check out for ideas.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:49 PM

I'm another who thinks you should further question the intended recipient. If she is not a quilter and is not familiar with quilt trends, then the term "bohemian quilt" might mean something entirely different to her.

When my SIL got married, she was asked what colors she wanted in her wedding quilt. She replied "earth tones". In her mind, earth tones meant blues, greens, grays, soft taupes and browns, etc. However, to the quilter who made the quilt, "earth tones" meant green, chocolate brown, orange, yellow, and fuchsia. The resulting quilt didn't see the light of day for 25 years, and both parties were very disappointed.

Please, get clarification.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:04 PM

Here are some to get ideas: https://www.pinterest.com/explore/bohemian-quilt/

Definitely ask what colors/prints she is thinking of.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I'm another who thinks you should further question the intended recipient. If she is not a quilter and is not familiar with quilt trends, then the term "bohemian quilt" might mean something entirely different to her.

When my SIL got married, she was asked what colors she wanted in her wedding quilt. She replied "earth tones". In her mind, earth tones meant blues, greens, grays, soft taupes and browns, etc. However, to the quilter who made the quilt, "earth tones" meant green, chocolate brown, orange, yellow, and fuchsia. The resulting quilt didn't see the light of day for 25 years, and both parties were very disappointed.

Please, get clarification.
Completely agree. When I made quilts for my two VERY opinionated daughters (who knows where they got that LOL) I sent each pictures of quilts I knew or thought I could make, or were on my bucket list (that way we are both happy, why start a quilt I knew I couldn't do). Both picked totally opposite from what I thought they would like. THEN I drug them to the fabric store to pick fabrics they liked. Again, totally different than what I thought.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:07 AM
Power Poster

Gypsy wife for sure....but the others are right....get her to google and send you the links to her favourites (or do it via Pinterest). Please do show us what you come up with.....tend to the Bohemian myself...
Old 02-20-2017, 06:57 AM

Ask her again and give her some links to bohemian quilt pictures, so she can say whether or not that's really what she means by bohemian.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:06 AM

I immediately thought of a big bursting exploding star (a bit loose not tight like a medallion). Burnt reds and earthtones in the 'star' blending into blues of the sky. Perhaps if you took a hunter's and used more blending colors so the edges did not seem so sharp.....I see the need to get out my colored pencils and start playing around.......