Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Border advice please >

Border advice please

Border advice please

Old 10-06-2021, 03:03 AM

You've received several great ideas here and I agree with them all Each and every suggestion lends to a beautiful, but different, finished look. As mentioned already, it's very helpful to lay the quilt out and place the different border fabrics you're considering around the quilt and stand far back plus take pictures. I almost always have an instant decision when I do this.

Sometimes, I like to really frame the quilt with a thin 1/4" border followed by a 1" border and then a larger border. That's if I do a border at all - sometimes I prefer the blocks/pattern to stand on their own which, in my eye, looks more modern. And I almost always do a flange binding. The beauty of quilting - lots of wonderful options but the best one is the one you like the most!

Look forward to seeing your finished quilt!
Old 10-06-2021, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I agree. I might audition a narrow white inner border with a wider turquoise outer border, take pics and see how I like it. Look at it from across the room and also as a pic on your phone. This will help you get the wide-angle lens perspective. Lovely quilt!
By the way - what's the name of this line of fabric?? I've been looking for it but it's hard to find without the name. 😜
It is Moda Sunshine Soul.

Old 10-07-2021, 03:17 PM

I like the idea of a thin white border. It won’t even look like a border, it’ll just make the rest of the quilt float.

Then, I’d choose your favourite colour from the blocks, and make a slightly thicker border in a mid range of that colour. I’d bind it in a really dark of the same.

Luckily, there’s no quilt police to come and take you away, so you can try any/all of the suggestions here, and decide what YOU like!!!!