Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Border Direction? >

Border Direction?

Border Direction?

Old 11-15-2013, 11:46 AM

The fabric/pattern may tell you which direction to choose. What I've been told is most important is to be consistent will all of the sides - and if there are multiple borders, all of the border fabrics.

Cheers, K
Old 11-15-2013, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
I do both...on the same quilt. I cut the side borders on the lengthwise grain and the top and bottom borders on the crosswise grain. My reason is this: once they're sewn on the quilt, the grain all runs the same way, lengthwise from top to bottom.

What it means is the stretch is all going the same way; any fabric print is all going the same way; the light reflects off the warp and weft the same way which eliminates that subtle color difference that happens when the grain direction differs; and you never pull on the stretchy crosswise grain when you pull the quilt up under your chin on a cold night (or hang it on a wall).

It's just something I started doing many years ago because it seemed to make sense to me.
Very interesting. It makes sense to me too and I will try to remember to do it this way from now on. I love all of the great thoughts shared on this board.