Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Border time for my X's and O's....suggestions please...

Border time for my X's and O's....suggestions please...

I just finished the center of my X's and O's quilt. I am very tired of making half snowballs. Those were only fun for the first 20 or so....

But I am now ready for borders. I was going to just put my "regular" on....an inner white and a larger of the dark purple, but I am open for suggestions.

Anyone have a different idea for me? I know I need to auction borders, and I will, but I thought I might try something different...just not sure what. Right now I am snowball dead. No brain activity at all.

Dina
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well I know you are tired of half snowballs but... Maybe a white border and then your half snowballs in a single row giving it a zigzag border. Follow with another narrow white and colored binding

I think I would go with your initial thought of the purple for the border, then How about the blue for the binding too?
    I just want to spend the rest of my life laughing.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I like it with a wide white border and a purple binding. If you want to get adventurous, you could add a blue flange.

My initial thought is adding the purple or blue border, and vice a versa for the binding. But I also think a flange on the binding woukd be nice.

All good ideas. Thanks. When my brain wakes up again, I will do some playing.

Dina

Blog Entries
    It's absolutely gorgeous. What about a white inner border then a purple and turquoise piano keys-type with the keys being square(2" maybe?) and then followed by a white outer border.
    AudreyB
    Those who sleep under quilts are covered with love.

How about a narrow white border then a row of nine-patches?
    Retired math teacher --
    I CAN FIGURE IT OUT!

Blog Entries
    I saw on this site yesterday a border with a strip in that looked like ricrac all round. It was very effective and made I think using trapezium shapes.
    Finished is better than a UFO

How about splitting that border in half and doing a small accent strip down in the center. You could use both colors if you wanted to be crazy doing one side and the bottom in purple and the other side and top in the turquoise. You could do the binding the same way. That should be a challenge for you Dina that you have been searching for.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I'm having the same dilemma as you! Thought I'd put narrow (2 1/2" ) solid border on mine and then do a sashing
    With up- down all around this...um, kinda hard to describe what I mean...each single block will go one way and next goes opposite way all the way around border
    take plenty of pic of family & friends, keep tabs on loved ones but make time for yourself !

By the way....like how you used those colors together!
    take plenty of pic of family & friends, keep tabs on loved ones but make time for yourself !

First thing I thought of was a small white stopper border and a floral that picks up both colors. Me and my Sister use those colors alot.

http://www.meandmysisterdesigns.com/...or_moda/?id=20

Here is just one of their lines. The top left one would match. Then you could wake up your brain with some quilting.I have no affilation with this company. Just love their bright fresh colors and designs.

These ideas are good, but they may be more ambitious than I am. I am just ready to be done with this quilt. I think I will clean out my closet and make border decisions later. Thanks for all of the ideas!!

Dina

All those corners you chopped off, did you keep them? If so, could you possible use them put together as maybe diamond with a white strip on either side of them? I try to use up everything that comes off my blocks so no leftovers.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

I say do a nice tan or brown thin inner border to help break it up then do the other borders. the brown will give the eye a place to stop and it will frame it nicely.
    when life gets you down go and talk with a little kid. They will help you work out even the worst problems with their simple logic.

I would put an aqua stop border--very narrow and finish with a white wider border and aqua binding. Very pretty quilt--I love your colors.
    Sue

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
    I like it with a wide white border and a purple binding. If you want to get adventurous, you could add a blue flange.
    That is what I was thinking too. I could not tell if it had the white border or just the blocks on a design board, but I like it the way it looks now (if it is the wide white border.) Love the flange idea. You, also, could make the binding/flange a little wider for a little more color and use a decorative stitch on the flange to attach binding to quilt.

I think purple would be a nice border.. or maybe do both the blue and the purple (line a 2" strip of each???) Very pretty quilt