Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Borders greater or less than 90 degrees - help

Borders greater or less than 90 degrees - help

I am making the Butterfly Jungle Table Runner from free patterns.com

https://www.freepatterns.com/detail....342&cat_id=434

I am having problems sewing the borders on with the mitered corners. I get as far as figure 5, but can not do figure 6 or 7. Can you offer any help?

This pdf file provided by Anka's Treasures might help you.

https://ankastreasures.wordpress.com...ng-odd-angles/
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

Cute table runner. Never did a miter that wasn't 45 degrees.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I'm not going to sign up to their site for the download, but from the image it appears that the corners are 90 degrees at the ends and 125 degrees on the sides. That means that the miters are half that size, 45 degrees at the ends and 62.5 degrees at the sides.

Thanks for your help. However, I am looking for directions to add a border, not the binding. The link provided by
    Barb will be helpful when I go to bind it.

What I have always done (even for the 90 degrees) is to sew both seams up to the 1/4 inch seam allowance with extra fabric hanging over (unsewn)... Then I turn the quilt to right side up and leave one straight/flat and use the top one and fold it to meet the other on the outside. In a 90 degree miter this is a 45 degree line. But I don't see why it wouldn't work for a differing degree change. You can basically line up the two points to create that line (and not really worry about degrees)

I then press it very well so I can see the line well. Gently open the top piece while keeping the bottom still and in place. Then I pin across the seam from the outer point to the inner. And sew....

Hope this helps!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by luvspaper View Post
    What I have always done (even for the 90 degrees) is to sew both seams up to the 1/4 inch seam allowance with extra fabric hanging over (unsewn)... Then I turn the quilt to right side up and leave one straight/flat and use the top one and fold it to meet the other on the outside. In a 90 degree miter this is a 45 degree line. But I don't see why it wouldn't work for a differing degree change. You can basically line up the two points to create that line (and not really worry about degrees)

I then press it very well so I can see the line well. Gently open the top piece while keeping the bottom still and in place. Then I pin across the seam from the outer point to the inner. And sew....

Hope this helps!
    Yep, that's what I have always done, don't worry about that degree stuff, as long as it lays flat and the miter matches, I am good to go.

You sew the strip to the main straight, trimming to meet the line of the piece gives you the angle you need...you don't cut the strip at the angle then try to match it......there must be a tute somewhere...it's easier done than said....

Also Jenny beyer website had a freebie for that style tablerunner along with templates to make the angles.......