Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Borders

Borders

Do you always put borders on your quilts or have you made quilts without borders?

I am doing the zippy quilt from the moda bake shop and I'm not sure whether to make more blocks to make it bigger or add a border or 2.

What are your thoughts? Thanks

I usually like to add a border or two on my quilts but for the pattern
    you're making I think I would leave it as is.
    Some quilts need a border and others don't...specially modern quilts.
    Nice pattern BTW.

Blog Entries
    Boarders go on 50% of my quilts. I would not put one on zippy.

http://www.modabakeshop.com/2014/08/zippy-quilt.html

I normally put borders on. Place some fabric on one edge and see what looks best to you.
    But I agree with EasyPeezy, you might not need one for this.

I agree with JaneQuilter - I've never made a quilt without a border, but this particular pattern just wouldn't look right with one.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Blog Entries
    i agree, no borders on zippy. if there are no borders, i usually birth/envelope the quilt
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I just looked at photographs of mine and I see that about 80% of them have borders. Most of the patterns I do seem to "ask" for them. I like the way they frame up the main body of the quilt. As AVFD215 said, putting some fabric next to it will help you decide.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

I've been skipping borders on the majority of my quilts lately... Somehow I've just come to realize they don't always add to the look of the quilt, and I'm always left wondering how to quilt that big blank space anyway. I kinda like the look of quilts minus borders.

Often modern quilts don't want borders. I think this one should go borderless for sure.
    Lisa

I usually do NOT add borders...unless the quilt seems to call for it. I like the edge to edge design look.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I wouldn't put a border on zippy.

Boarders are nice if they are going to actually be used. The border of a quilt will get the most use and wear out first. It's easier to fix a hole in a boarder. If it is a wall hanging, I usually don't put borders on unless the quilt tells me to.
    Penny

I do with or without depending on the design. For that quilt, I'd just bind it and call it done. No borders necessary.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Thanks. I was leaning towards no borders but just needed another opinion. I'll spend this weekend making more HST's to make more rows to get it the right size

Blog Entries
    Most of my quilts look better with a border but there are some that just don't need a border. Don't forget to post a pic of your finished zippy quilt.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Blog Entries
    I have quilts that needed borders to make them look finished ( framed them nicely) and I've made quilts that did not need a border. It depends on the quilt, or your preference. Not every quilt needs a border. I have made extra blocks - extended patterns to make my quilt larger instead of using a border for that. Either way is great.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I rarely put borders on my quilts. If you have the fabrics, I would make more blocks.

I only put on a border if I think the design needs a frame - or if I need to "big it up" a little. What I never do is put on wide borders - just not a look that I like personally. I would not put one on Zippy

There are lots of modern quilts that would lose their impact of a border is added. Borders are traditional and came in lots of forms-additional design elements. I think the pattern you are using just does not lend itself to borders-the impact of the design would be lost.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I don't think zippy needs a border. It is a modern quilt and just ending the lines at the binding has its own appeal.