Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29

Thread: Borders

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Cameron Park, Calif.
    Posts
    10
    I am working on the borders of the Queen and Her Court quilt and the instructions read: Note:" Folded border lays dimensionally on top of inner borders" Can someone explain to me what this means? I have never encountered this before and I have been quilting for over 15 years. Yikes!! please help.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    423
    Wow, that sure is a lot of verbiage - sounds a lot like some of the state income tax instructions this year! Could you post some pictures of the area in question.

  3. #3
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    30,667
    Blog Entries
    194
    I hope someone can help you

  4. #4
    Super Member dakotamaid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    South central Nebraska, US
    Posts
    5,585
    Like a piping in clothing or upholstery, only no cording inside, just the border folded in half and stitch in the seam with just a tiny bit showing.

  5. #5
    quiltluvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Lost in a quilt shop :-)
    Posts
    1,353
    I looked up that pattern made with the Marie Antoinette fabric line. What it looks like to me is that you fold the material, match up the seam line, lay the out border to it then sew all three layers. The folded side sticks out giving it the dimension.

    I have a sampler hanging on my design wall that I'm doing that very thing with.....just have to hand finish the inner square......one of these days! :lol:

  6. #6
    Lady Tapioca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Connecticut shoreline
    Posts
    496
    I'm not sure if this will make sense, but, the 'dimensional' border is folded lengthwise with wrong sides together. Then it is sewn in with the other border so that it lies three dimensionally alongside the other border. Clear as mud?

  7. #7
    Panther Creek Quilting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Central Missouri Backwoods
    Posts
    797
    I have also heard of it called a "peek-a-boo" border. usually it is about an inch or less and folded wrong sides together and then sewn in the seam line.

    Hope this helps.

    Sheila

  8. #8
    Power Poster erstan947's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    12,168
    Blog Entries
    47
    I have heard this called a flange border

  9. #9
    Power Poster BellaBoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Front row
    Posts
    14,661
    Blog Entries
    2
    I have heard it being called a Flange border. It's super simple to do. Just have to keep it straight in the seam.

  10. #10
    Super Member Olivia's Grammy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Fayetteville, GA
    Posts
    2,881
    Blog Entries
    1
    You ladies explained that alot better than the pattern writer.

  11. #11
    Super Member raptureready's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    5,299
    Okay, I'm a terminology idiot. Is the thing you guys are talking about like the little "extra" tab on a pillow case? That little strip that's sewn in but not sewn down between the case fabric and the hem fabric? Just so I'll know in the future.

  12. #12
    quiltluvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Lost in a quilt shop :-)
    Posts
    1,353
    Yes it is raptureready.

    And you can adjust the size in your projects, depending on what kind of you are after.

  13. #13
    Super Member raptureready's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    5,299
    Thanks. I've done it in pillowcases I just didn't know what it was called. Now I do. Pretty complicated names and directions for such a simple thing to do. I always just called it a "flap."

  14. #14
    Senior Member pam1966's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Jackson, TN
    Posts
    538
    Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    Thanks. I've done it in pillowcases I just didn't know what it was called. Now I do. Pretty complicated names and directions for such a simple thing to do. I always just called it a "flap."
    Your term makes more sense to me! :wink:

  15. #15
    Super Member raptureready's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    5,299
    Quote Originally Posted by pam1966
    Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    Thanks. I've done it in pillowcases I just didn't know what it was called. Now I do. Pretty complicated names and directions for such a simple thing to do. I always just called it a "flap."
    Your term makes more sense to me! :wink:
    Maybe "flap" is too common or it just doesn't sound like you've done something to amaze and astound people.
    "I put a "flap" in the border" doesn't sound nearly as complicated as "I sewed in a dimensionally folded insert at the outer edge of my inner border to separate, enhance and accentuate the rich tones of the outer border. It also adds a "three dimensional" quality to my quilt rather than the normal two dimensions of yours." Now, you've really accomplished something. :lol: :lol: Personally, I'll put a flap in.

  16. #16
    Super Member Baloonatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Central Coast CA
    Posts
    1,931
    I love doing them! I just call them "standing seams"

  17. #17
    Senior Member pgthom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    SW MI (yes there really is a Kalamazoo)
    Posts
    660
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotamaid
    Like a piping in clothing or upholstery, only no cording inside, just the border folded in half and stitch in the seam with just a tiny bit showing.
    I agree with this idea. Sounds like what they are trying to explain.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    767
    raptureready,

    Thanks for the pillow case tip. NOW I understand.

    By the way, you have a wonderful way with words. Your descriptive explanation of the three-dimensional seam is fantastic - wish I would have said that!

  19. #19
    Super Member Pat G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Western Arizona
    Posts
    1,897
    Quote Originally Posted by erstan947
    I have heard this called a flange border
    I used a flange pc. on a recent quilt & my long arm quilter told me never to do that again since it messes up her work. I think she also said she had to stop & reset the quilt on the machine? Since I don't long arm or understand what all it takes, I assured her I'd never do it again. Just like an naughty kid. LOL

  20. #20
    Super Member raptureready's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    5,299
    Quote Originally Posted by Carol's Quilts
    raptureready,

    Thanks for the pillow case tip. NOW I understand.

    By the way, you have a wonderful way with words. Your descriptive explanation of the three-dimensional seam is fantastic - wish I would have said that!
    LOL !! I used to work at the University of Illinois---I'm used to hearing a bunch of useless retoric that's just to try and make someone sound as important as they think they are.

  21. #21
    Senior Member renee765's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    955
    raptureready wrote:

    Maybe "flap" is too common or it just doesn't sound like you've done something to amaze and astound people.
    "I put a "flap" in the border" doesn't sound nearly as complicated as "I sewed in a dimensionally folded insert at the outer edge of my inner border to separate, enhance and accentuate the rich tones of the outer border. It also adds a "three dimensional" quality to my quilt rather than the normal two dimensions of yours." Now, you've really accomplished something. :lol: :lol: Personally, I'll put a flap in.[/quote]

    Hah! I love this! You made me laugh out loud! You would be a great writer for commercials!

  22. #22
    Super Member MISHNJIM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Fayetteville, NC
    Posts
    1,812
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    Quote Originally Posted by pam1966
    Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    Thanks. I've done it in pillowcases I just didn't know what it was called. Now I do. Pretty complicated names and directions for such a simple thing to do. I always just called it a "flap."
    Your term makes more sense to me! :wink:
    Maybe "flap" is too common or it just doesn't sound like you've done something to amaze and astound people.
    "I put a "flap" in the border" doesn't sound nearly as complicated as "I sewed in a dimensionally folded insert at the outer edge of my inner border to separate, enhance and accentuate the rich tones of the outer border. It also adds a "three dimensional" quality to my quilt rather than the normal two dimensions of yours." Now, you've really accomplished something. :lol: :lol: Personally, I'll put a flap in.
    LMAO!!!!! You are a NUT!!!! I'll have to try this "Flap" method.

  23. #23
    Super Member raptureready's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    5,299
    That's me, if I can't dazzle with brilliance I'll baffle with bull. LOL

  24. #24
    Junior Member Shiloh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Posts
    154
    Love it! Gerry

  25. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Forest Grove,OR
    Posts
    6,573
    Blog Entries
    1
    sorry, cant help, but good luck. Penny

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.