Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Borders

I am working on the borders of the Queen and Her Court quilt and the instructions read: Note:" Folded border lays dimensionally on top of inner borders" Can someone explain to me what this means? I have never encountered this before and I have been quilting for over 15 years. Yikes!! please help.

Wow, that sure is a lot of verbiage - sounds a lot like some of the state income tax instructions this year! Could you post some pictures of the area in question.

Blog Entries
    I hope someone can help you

Like a piping in clothing or upholstery, only no cording inside, just the border folded in half and stitch in the seam with just a tiny bit showing.

I looked up that pattern made with the Marie Antoinette fabric line. What it looks like to me is that you fold the material, match up the seam line, lay the out border to it then sew all three layers. The folded side sticks out giving it the dimension.

I have a sampler hanging on my design wall that I'm doing that very thing with.....just have to hand finish the inner square......one of these days! :lol:

I'm not sure if this will make sense, but, the 'dimensional' border is folded lengthwise with wrong sides together. Then it is sewn in with the other border so that it lies three dimensionally alongside the other border. Clear as mud?

I have also heard of it called a "peek-a-boo" border. usually it is about an inch or less and folded wrong sides together and then sewn in the seam line.

Hope this helps.

Sheila

Blog Entries
    I have heard this called a flange border

Blog Entries
    I have heard it being called a Flange border. It's super simple to do. Just have to keep it straight in the seam.

Blog Entries
    You ladies explained that alot better than the pattern writer.

Okay, I'm a terminology idiot. Is the thing you guys are talking about like the little "extra" tab on a pillow case? That little strip that's sewn in but not sewn down between the case fabric and the hem fabric? Just so I'll know in the future.

Yes it is raptureready.

And you can adjust the size in your projects, depending on what kind of you are after.

Thanks. I've done it in pillowcases I just didn't know what it was called. Now I do. Pretty complicated names and directions for such a simple thing to do. I always just called it a "flap."

Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    Thanks. I've done it in pillowcases I just didn't know what it was called. Now I do. Pretty complicated names and directions for such a simple thing to do. I always just called it a "flap."
    Your term makes more sense to me! :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by pam1966
    Maybe "flap" is too common or it just doesn't sound like you've done something to amaze and astound people.
    "I put a "flap" in the border" doesn't sound nearly as complicated as "I sewed in a dimensionally folded insert at the outer edge of my inner border to separate, enhance and accentuate the rich tones of the outer border. It also adds a "three dimensional" quality to my quilt rather than the normal two dimensions of yours." Now, you've really accomplished something. :lol: :lol: Personally, I'll put a flap in.

I love doing them! I just call them "standing seams"

Quote Originally Posted by dakotamaid
    Like a piping in clothing or upholstery, only no cording inside, just the border folded in half and stitch in the seam with just a tiny bit showing.
    I agree with this idea. Sounds like what they are trying to explain.

raptureready,

Thanks for the pillow case tip. NOW I understand.

By the way, you have a wonderful way with words. Your descriptive explanation of the three-dimensional seam is fantastic - wish I would have said that!

Quote Originally Posted by erstan947
    I have heard this called a flange border
    I used a flange pc. on a recent quilt & my long arm quilter told me never to do that again since it messes up her work. I think she also said she had to stop & reset the quilt on the machine? Since I don't long arm or understand what all it takes, I assured her I'd never do it again. Just like an naughty kid. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Carol's Quilts
    raptureready,

Thanks for the pillow case tip. NOW I understand.

By the way, you have a wonderful way with words. Your descriptive explanation of the three-dimensional seam is fantastic - wish I would have said that!
    LOL !! I used to work at the University of Illinois---I'm used to hearing a bunch of useless retoric that's just to try and make someone sound as important as they think they are.

raptureready wrote:

Maybe "flap" is too common or it just doesn't sound like you've done something to amaze and astound people.
    "I put a "flap" in the border" doesn't sound nearly as complicated as "I sewed in a dimensionally folded insert at the outer edge of my inner border to separate, enhance and accentuate the rich tones of the outer border. It also adds a "three dimensional" quality to my quilt rather than the normal two dimensions of yours." Now, you've really accomplished something. :lol: :lol: Personally, I'll put a flap in.[/quote]

Hah! I love this! You made me laugh out loud! You would be a great writer for commercials!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pam1966
    "I put a "flap" in the border" doesn't sound nearly as complicated as "I sewed in a dimensionally folded insert at the outer edge of my inner border to separate, enhance and accentuate the rich tones of the outer border. It also adds a "three dimensional" quality to my quilt rather than the normal two dimensions of yours." Now, you've really accomplished something. :lol: :lol: Personally, I'll put a flap in.
    LMAO!!!!! You are a NUT!!!! I'll have to try this "Flap" method.

That's me, if I can't dazzle with brilliance I'll baffle with bull. LOL

Love it! Gerry

Banned
    Blog Entries
    sorry, cant help, but good luck. Penny

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast