Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bought a new machine, but ... >

Bought a new machine, but ...

Bought a new machine, but ...

Old 03-01-2013, 08:45 AM
Power Poster

Glad that my suggestion helped you with your bobbin winding woes.

It's important, actually critical that the bobbin holder be in position properly ... I just was not comfortable with it. One day the in-store mechanic sat with me and had me put it in and out numerous times, til I fully "got it". Now, I have no problems.

Just do some regular stitching without the AccuFeed in place ... that should give you a better idea as to how it sounds. There definitely is more noise with the AF than without. (Again, all comments from the 6600 perspective).
Old 03-03-2013, 03:57 AM
Power Poster

I have a Janome and have not had these problems. I would take it back where I purchased it and let them tell you if you are doing anything wrong or if there is a problem with the machine.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:33 AM

I think you have a machine that has a problem or 2. Take it back to the dealer for a fix or replacement.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:35 AM

I don't know, my machine won't wind a bobbin for life nor money. It only winds about 1/2 way and stops. And what it does wind looks shoddy. My only complaint about my sewing machine. The bobbin wheel keeps spinning, but the bobbin stops.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:03 AM

My first bobbin on my 7700 was also a mess...user error. The first time I sewed on my 7700 I heard several loud noises and I was sure that the thread had broken...nope...and the stitching was fine too. I never figured out just what those noises were, but they stopped and never came back.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:18 AM

2 things I found when winding bobbins on my 7700: 1) when starting, feed the thread through the small hole on the disc part of the bobbin from inside to outside, then feed it down through the center hole. When you then put it on the winding post, it will be anchored better. Be sure to cut this little tail off after threading. 2) my machine winds better at max speed, with the foot pedal unplugged. NOt sure why that makes a difference, but it seems to. Probably because there are no subtle speed variations that you might get from your foot being unsteady.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:54 AM

When I first got my Janome I was winding the bobbins wrong and they looked awful. Check that you are threading the machine correctly when winding the bobbin. When I went to the classes that came with the machine she said a lot of people thread it wrong to wind bobbins. CHeck the instructions.
This could also be part of the problem with the weird noises. Your machine should sound pretty much like ny other machine.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:01 AM

Thanks for the responses. I posted another thread that everything is fine now. I changed the needle and the noise stopped. I think maybe the assembly wasn't very tight, but that is not the case now, and there is no unusual noise. Also, I have corrected the bobbin winding issue.

I am really starting to love this machine. I'm having tons of fun with it, and I am going to sign up soon for the Leah Day FMQ class on Craftsy, so I can learn to do that. This is the first machine I've had that is set up for FMQ. I cannot wait!
Old 03-03-2013, 07:35 AM

I have the same model. When you put bobbin on top to fill ensure the threading is correct, then the bobbin has to be placed on correctly and fits snugly down. Wind at different speeds to see the differences.
It is also very easy to put the thing where the bobbin goes in in place incorrectly. Ensure the little bit that sticks out goes to the left.
Look at Handbook. .
Old 03-03-2013, 07:43 AM

I just got the 8900 for Christmas and Love it! It is the most quiet machine I have ever owned. I am a Janome gal.
I have two 6600's/4900/3160/11000SE and now 8900. I have not had a problem with the bobbin winding....knock on wood.
Diana in tX